Australian resume for a software engineer. Feedback?

BrendanH

Hi folks, I have created a first draft of a resume based on what I have read online.

If I were to put it up would anyone be interested in having a look and letting me know if I am on the right track?

I'll have a look for you. I can also look at your LinkedIn profile if you have one. Direct message me if you prefer.

I will be interested as i will be applying for a similar role. Thanks

Thanks RYLC. I will post it publically some time over the course of the weekend so that others can also benefit from your advice.

My LinkedIn profile is nowhere near ready for any sort of scrutiny though.

No worries. Just post when you are ready.

You might be interested in a short video I put together last week for the basics of what you need to know about a LinkedIn profile.

The link is on this thread: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/45577-using-linkedin-to-improve-aussie-career-opportunities/?p=414454

Brendan I know that Roz fisher from the facebook forum also offers to take a look at peoples CV for them without charge. Maybe contact her and see if your on the right track. :-) She is a professional CV writer.

Brendan I know that Roz fisher from the facebook forum also offers to take a look at peoples CV for them without charge. Maybe contact her and see if your on the right track. :-) She is a professional CV writer.

Roz does charge as that is her business. She may offer pointers via Facebook but hers is definitely a paid service. Would be worth asking for a quote to compare prices.

Edited by RYLC

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Qdyc4K7PuqbVdwSnd1b0NoSXM/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

Here it is. One thing I am aware of is the Summary sections of my Employment History items are a bit rough but I find these the hardest things to get right. I also like to add one or two personal touches which explains the Who am I? section and the In Parting section. I always like displaying a bit of humanity in my CV's/Resume's.

Edited by BrendanH
  • Like 1

Excellent job BrendanH. The way you have it written will also slot straight into the various areas of LinkedIn. For your location on LinkedIn I would be putting the city you plan to move to so that the data matching side of Linkedin picks up your details for relevant jobs at that location. Have a look at the video I linked to further up this page for more LinkedIn info if you need it.

The only thing I would leave off is the permanent visa part. I know I know we want an employer to be confident that we are authorise to work in australia etc. Thing is that this fact is hardly ever on their radar and all you are doing is highlighting that you are a migrant. You might be pointing out a "negative" that they hadn't thought of.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, BrendanH. I'm at a similar stage in the process (and in the same industry), so seeing an example is a great help.

Hey,

A mate of mine got an MBA in the states. He told me once that he was taught to think about the overall message of your CV. I.e. think about the impression you want someone to have when they read your CV for the first time.

Someone might read it and say,

"Your a software developer"

When really you want them to say,

"You are a senior software developer"

I haven't read the CV. But for those who have. What was the first impression you had?

• 4 weeks later...

I think you need a little more description on the work you have done. There's a website that has some excellent templates (including IT) and also has a Do-it-yourself guide to building a resume/CV. The IT template was here: http://employmentguide.com.au/Resume/Resume-template/example-resume-template-IT-software-engineer-resume.html