Travelling with South African Passport

Hello all,

My family and I will be going to Australia in 3 weeks time.

I would like to know if it will be okay to travel with our passports as it is. In other words, since we are Permanent residence of Australia will be need any VISA label inside our passports STILL? We will be flying directly from South Africa to Perth.

Did anyone fly with their current passports who are PR in Aus and did you need anything extra in your passport to confirm your PR status?

Thanks alot guys

I have not left yet - also leaving in 3 weeks, but I was advised by our visa agent that all you need are the passports under which your application was done. All your passport details with visa awarded to you are on VEVO. If you are feeling worried, check online to ensure your details are there, and carry a copy of visa approval letter on you.

To check online, go to the immi site, search for VEVO and follow links. ( just can't get the copy and paste of link to work in this post, sorry )

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 2

For our activation trip we didn't need to get anything, just the passport. It felt really weird. But I would also print out a copy of your grant letter just in case something unusual happens.

The airline can literally type in your passport number in to their computers and it will tell them if you have a VISA.

The Aussie government hates VISA labels because they can revoke your VISA. But people just look at the label in your passport and think everything is OK with your VISA. Employers are especially bad with that. They are supposed to call the VEVO line every three months to check their employees VISA statuses, but very few companies do.

There is a big problem with people over staying their VISAs. There are more Brits here who have overstayed their VISA than there are boat people (peeps sailing here on dodgey boats claiming to be refugees).

But, on the slight chance there is some sort of a hiccup, insist that the check-in person gives Canberra a call. That's where having a VISA grant letter could be usefull. It's just to show the check-in person that they aren't wasting their time calling Canberra.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Thankyou everyone for your response. I will of course make sure we take our Pr visa letter when traveling. I know that some people opt to purchase a visa sticker but its about 150 dollars!! Forget that.

We thought it would be nice to have the sticker in our passports, because it's something you can see, and feel:"Hehe..this is official. We made it." and it would be comforting to look at. But at that price, nope.

And then the guy at the immigration desk at the airport ignores your $150 VISA label all together! grr

But they are great for employers who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing and five VEVO a call.

Oh and don't forget the birth certificates of your kids :) that is if you have any..

Edited by monsta

We have to renew crotchfruits passport before we fly and let VEVO know about the change.

I know they are a first world country but I am stressing that there is going to be a problem with the process and we ate going to get to passport control and be turned away.

Hi. I came over from the UK (I had PR before I got here) but I did take a copy of the Visa Grant letter just in case of any hang ups at Passport control. Take copies of any relevant paperwork to your visa and passports to avoid any unexpected surprises. Everything works electronically here, but remember, a system is only as good as the people that operate it. Happy travels.

I was granted a PR visa in Aug last year and activated it in Dec last year. My passport was renewed in SA between Aug and Dec last year. I filled out a form to notify the govt of my passport renewal. I didn't have a sticker in any of my passports. I had not problems travelling in Dec last year. No one asked for any visa letters or stickers.

• Like 1

Take your Visa Grant letters with you. When we flew over on our Visa activation trip, the system was not recognizing my daughter's passport number. Luckily, we had the letters with us and realized that two of the digits in her passport number had been reversed for the Visa grant (something both we, and the agent, had overlooked). As Peter says, human error is still possible. Luckily, a few phone calls later and it was all sorted and we were allowed to board.

• Like 2

Take your Visa Grant letters with you. When we flew over on our Visa activation trip, the system was not recognizing my daughter's passport number. Luckily, we had the letters with us

Excellent advice. We were planning on taking copies of the letters with us on the plance and this is the confirmation I need that if worst comes to worst they are a viable option.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah ! i just posted about this!

Thanks for the above as now I have my answer too!

I shall be taking along the letters - JUST in case.