Car & household insurance

OfftoAus

Hi Everyone

We heard this week that our 457 visas were approved and need to get to Aus in the next 6-8 weeks. It all happened pretty quickly, so we have to get ready at lightening speed. We have all the usual questions, doubts and worries, but I was wondering if anyone knows how car and household insurance, as will as life cover works over is Aus. We need to get our admin in order on this side and decide whether or not to stop everything in SA.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Well first of all congrats, how exciting !!! We are waiting for our 457 news. How long did yours take from medicals? It's always a whirlwind till you get there, I can just give advice to write lists, deep breaths, and all the best for your new chapter. I can't answer your questions sadly, I'm sure someone can help. Aus has loads of comparison websites, you can compare anything from cellphone contracts to medical insurance, so google for that too. ( I even did it for banks!)

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the visa. Someone here will know...

Usually you will get a discounted rate if you take your household and car policies with the same company. If you go to Google and type in "comprehensive car insurance Australia compare" you will see many sites where you can do so.

With regard to life insurance, the cheapest rates hou will get is to do it through your superannuation. You can speak to your employer about this. The superfunds usually have a group policy and that is why it ks cheaper. Lets say that it amounts to $50 per week, then you would be wise to ask your employer to deduct the money off your weekly wages and add it to your super contributions. That way you would not be using your future pension to pay for your insurance now.

You can also do a search on the forum, life insurance has been discussed many times.

thanks Mara, Redpanda.

MrsSmith, the 457 process from receiving offers of employment to visas granted was less than a month, hence our mild panic at getting everything done here.

Hi. YOUI and Woolworths currently have the most competitive premiums for car insurance. Also bring any proof of insurance from SA as some insurance companies may transfer your No Claims bonus, which may further decrease your premiums.

Thanks Peterthe1, that's a nice tip about the no claims bonus!

The beauty of Australia (first world yay!) are the many comparison websites - from private medical insurance, to car and household insurance, to utilities providers....its fantastic to find and search the companies that will suit you best! Google is your best friend - its helped me so much on this query

I've been using these two sites to do many searches

https://www.choice.com.au/

http://www.comparethemarket.com.au/

Hi. YOUI and Woolworths currently have the most competitive premiums for car insurance. Also bring any proof of insurance from SA as some insurance companies may transfer your No Claims bonus, which may further decrease your premiums.

I have found in WA Coles car insurance to be the most competitive followed by SGIO. Watch out for YOUI and their trick of getting you to leave your phone number so they can call you to 'discuss your requirements further'. :angry2: This is just a trick to cold call and then to line you up for a hard sales pitch. They tried this with me and wasted 40 minutes of my time on the phone and their premiums were not good at all. YOUI are part of the first rand group.

Make sure you haggle them down too. I haggled Coles down based on SGIO's price. Every year upon renewal I have to call and beat the premiums down as on my car insurances they are insuring a depreciating asset so unless I claim there is no reason to for them to increase the premium :boxing::boxing:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Big tip - get your current car insurance to give you a letter saying that you have had no claims as it can sometimes help you to get a better rating here. Youii is a good one for car insurance.

Youii is a good one for car insurance.

Hate these guys and their instance on getting you on the phone for a sales pitch to 'better understand your needs' :boxing:

I have never got a competitive quote from them and they really waste one's time with the long drawn out phone calls.

• Like 1

I so agree with Richard about youii, the quote they gave me was about double to what I am paying now...and that was with the highest safety rating...

With car insurance make sure you are comparing apples with apples. Be clear about what you want, replacement or market value.