Can you take your knife collection to Aus

misslurie

Hey guys

My husband and i are seriously looking at immigrating to Australia. There are just a few things i need clarification on. My husband has been collecting Knives and Swords for 30 years now. Is he able to bring his collection with him?

You might need a special declaration for customs, but I know that they sell collectable knives and swords in Brisbane, and you don't need anything special to buy them. So I'm assuming there is no condition to owning them.

Not onto an airplane. Nope.

But I don't think a Leatherman counts as a spring loaded knife, ie flick-knife type weapon. So you probably can carry one of those on your person in public.

But if you're very into knives, I suggest you try to find official regulations relating to knife ownership if you can.

Edited by RedPanda

We sent about 6 knives (including a panga and a hand-axe or hatchet) in our boxes via container - and they came through no problems - no questions asked. Swords might be another thing and I think they have an issue with flick-knives that you might have to check up on.....

If they do have an issue with your collection, then its not a bad idea to have proof that it is a collection.

I am not sure what counts as proof, but you could think about things like taking some pictures of your collection on display at home. You could go get them valued and keep the valuation certificates. If you are a member of a club related to your collection, keep correspondence they give you in writing, proof of payment of fees, etc..

That sort of stuff is good to do before you decide to migrate here. It makes it look a bit more honest.

As others have said. Aussie will only complain if they think your collection might pose a risk to society, e.g. similar knives were used to commit crimes. But they could change their mind about what constitutes a risk at any time.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

A few years back someone had some problems with ceremonial swords that were found at customs and reported what was required on the forum. I think there were permissions that could be obtained prior to shipping. The Australian customs web site is very useful with a search function re items.

Hi,

If you are unsure about how your particular collection fits into what is allowed and not allowed on the link provided by marikdp above, you can contact the customs agents directly. We have tai-chi double edged swords ( blunt for training ) and were not sure if they were in fact allowed as they were not specifically listed - we emailed the contact provided on the customs webpage, attached a photo, and within 24 hours received a reply from a border agent. ( they were allowed into Australia in general, but we needed to contact State of Victoria specifically as each State has their own list on top of the one in the main list )

Edited by EmNew