Three months in

Lovestory

Don't you just love it when a plan starts coming together?

• Like 1

Hi Lovestory

We are in two minds whether we should have our second child in SA or Australia. Thank you for sharing your story and giving some insight on public care and schooling.

Congratulations and best of luck with your pregnancy!

• Like 1

Thank you for this! So great to hear how different people experience all the firsts! Best of luck with your pregnancy. I look forward to hearing where you take your little one to for child care as the stories of costs scare me! I have 14m old baby twins and only at start of process

Great start Lovestory, wish everyone's start could be like yours.

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way. But your story makes me glad that I had traveled quite a bit before I migrated here. It made moving here a lot easier.

I remember one of the first work trips I took here. They rented me a car, but I didn't fill it up for about 3 weeks. I was worried that I would over fill it or under fill it.

One day in the office, someone said to me "make sure you hear the click when you are filling up the rental car before you take it back. They will ask about that!".

Well, that's how I found out how you know when to stop filling petrol :). For the Saffers here who don't pay attention when the attendant fills your car, the pump has a shutoff mechanism when your petrol tank is full ;)

Edited by monsta
  • Like 2

Well, that's how I found out how you know when to stop filling petrol :). For the Saffers here who don't pay attention when the attendant fills your car, the pump has a shutoff mechanism when your petrol tank is full ;)

Ha ha, you learn something new every day! :ilikeit: I wish you could set the pump to pump without having to keep the handle pressed and then let it cut out automatically. To give you time to clean the windscreen.

Another first - throwing in one's own petrol. Remarkably easy actually. The Aussies seem to find it quaint that we have petrol attendants in SA. They used to have them here too.

On the childcare front TacticJourney and Sweepea, it is so tough with young children and maybe this warrants a separate thread, but perhaps the ideal time to come would be when all children are in primary school if you are going to go with the public schooling. Having said that, if we waited until our younger child was in kindy (2017), our older one would be in year 1 and I think would miss out a bit socially etc. For her, this has without a doubt been the best time to move. I really cannot praise the kindergarten program enough. And to think that we moved with a baby on the way - wow that's going to be interesting! I will stay home until our son starts kindy in 2017 probably and then attempt to work part time. It's a catch 22 with the childcare thing and ages of children. You just have to weigh up what's best for you.