AlmaSutherland

Hey there

When my husband I applied for our Visas I used my passport with my maiden surname as it is still valid until 2020.

The Visas have now been granted and we will be moving early next year.

Do I need to get a new Passport with my married surname here in South Africa, to ensure that when I arrive in Australia I'll be "registered" and dealt with as MRS. or will they understand that my passport is still valid and the visa was granted on that, but that I have an ID document and that my surname changed, when I got married.?

Our agent suggested that I ask the forum, since he could not foresee it being a problem.

I'd appreciate any help of feedback regarding this.

Have a great day.

Hey! another Sutherland!
If you and your husband applied for the visas together, I assume you also needed to hand in a long version marriage certificate? Most places I've dealt with (in RSA) have accepted my marriage certificate as proof that I'm married even though I did not change my surname. It would make sense if they accept the reverse in Aus, that you have a visa and a passport but that you have married and your surname has subsequently changed.

Anyone dealt with this in Aus?

You are going to have issues converting your licence in Australia if your passport is in your maiden name and all your other forms of ID are in your married name (bank card, medicare card, bank statement etc.) as they won't accept your marriage certificate as proof of name change at which ever department of transport you go to and you will then not have enough points of ID to make up the 100. Passport counts 70.

I would suggest getting a new passport in your married and then filling in the necessary paperwork (form 929) and giving it to your agent to lodge with immigration. We have friends here that have had this exact problem when trying to convert her RSA licence to a VIC one. Not sure if the other states would be the same but believe me when I say it's going to be easier for you to get a new passport in South Africa, if you have to, than trying to get one while here (and cheaper as you will end up paying around $30 for paper fingerprints if you can find a police station that will do them for you and $44 for the passport plus the registered post to and from Canberra).

I would also suggest getting a new passport now and letting Immigration know. I came over on my maiden name passport, had to get all my Aus documents in that name, and now, a year later, I had to officially apply to officially change my name at the Births, deaths and marriage registry, and use that to apply for all my Aus documents all over again in my married name. My passport is still in maiden name, but I use the name change certificate to link that to my new documents.

Save yourself the trouble!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I'll rather apply for a new passport in my married surname and let immigration now in advance.

Thanks again!

Ok, so they don't go the easy route.

At least new passports are issued very quickly at the moment in RSA. I got mine within 3 weeks.