Short term rental on arrival

KirstyS

From everyone's experiences how long should you book the short term rental for when you first arrive? We have no friends or family to bunk with so will have to have a short term rental first. What's a good average? ?

I would say three weeks. It all depends on where you are going and what type of long term rental you are after. For instance, if you were coming to Melbourne and you wanted that rental in Sunbury where I live, you should easily get it within a few days. If however, you wish to be closer to the city it could take longer as there is a much higher demand and the availability is less.

I would also suggest that you take a look at Airbnb for the short term rental (unless you already have something else set up), because they tend to put you with local families or in the second/part time property of locals. So the arrangements are less formal, it's easy to get mid term rentals organised from RSA and I found some really good prices listed there. I think the prices vary a lot because it's mostly people who have extra space to rent out, but don't want to go into anything commercial. And if you get an opportunity to chat to the 'landlords' you are likely to gain some good information about the area you are renting in.

Anyway, just check it out, it might not be for you, or you might get an absolute bargain?

Thanks Mara and RedPanda! I have been looking at airbnb as well. We are quite a large family though. The sooner we get into long term rental the better it will be cost wise ?

• Like 1

KirstyS, which city are you going to?

Mara we are going to Perth.

It may also depend on when you arrive. We arrived in mid Dec, signed a lease 24 Dec and moved in on 8 Jan. My husband's colleagues arrived in Perth at the beginning of January and it took them about a month to find a place. It seems as if there is a higher demand for rentals at the start of Jan. Also many Estate Agents will close from about 24 Dec for 2 weeks.

Thanks Magenta. That's good to know. Change of plan now is I am coming over first to sort it all out. ? daunting but doable.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Kirsty,

Just quickly wanted to find out if you found something cheap (rental) on Airbnb?

Thanks

@vanTonderFam I wouldn't say it's cheap but it was ok. But then it is a room in a house with an ensuite for just myself and my son.