School/rental in zoned area

KirstyS

so my ocd planning is causing me a few headaches. We know which school we want our two sons to attend but now we would need to make sure we find a rental in the school zone.

Now I know you would need to provide proof of address to get into the school but we would first have to find a short term rental on arrival before looking for long term rental and that might not be in the area. We are more than likely arriving after school has started so would like to get them started ASAP.

Kind of like a chicken and egg story - do we have to rather decide on school based on available rentals or decide on school and wait for a rental to become available.

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated. My middle son is the real issue as he will have to go to year 9. A delicate age ? don't want to swop and change schools.

I just have a small tip when looking for short term rentals: Don't forget Airbnb. We found a place that allows 3month renting, at a very reasonable price, for a fully furnished bachelors flat. And you can make all the arrangements from RSA. They tend to have the less formal arrangements, as opposed to say realestate.com.au

Thanks for the tip RedPanda!

While the primary school seemed more flexible, good high schools tend to be bursting at the seams, therefore disinterested and unsympathetic - come to us when you meet all the requirements seemed to be the general attitude.

I would suggest going in to see your chosen school, don't phone for an appointment, go in an ask for an appointment. It is a lot harder to dismiss someone who is standing in front of you. Explain your situation and ask what they need from you.

Just remind yourself that a few years from now, a few weeks either way will not make that much difference. Try to take a step back, focus on the big picture - you are here for long term goals and do not have to achieve everything at once.

Good luck

Yep, had a pretty similar experience with some of the good government high schools I enquiried with for my daughter. Not really interested, half of them didn't Even bother to reply to the mails I sent from SA.

In the end we decided to fork out for a private school, exorbitant as it is, because she is in year 11 and we could not take a chance of putting her in the wrong school in her last 2 years of schooling.

KirstyS,

If the school, primary or high school is in demand the odds of you getting in by not being in the catchment area is slim to none. I can tell you already that my sons school has 33 Kindy enrollments for next year already and have been granted $7 million to upgrade/build to be able to accommodate 100+ student by mid-16, they are bursting at the seams as DXB2OZ shared.

Even on good faith of a spot offered by the principal we weren't willing to take the risk as if anyone moved into the catchment area they'd have preference, just as well as they ended up with 2 new students, which would have lost our spot as by law they have to take in students within the catchment area.

We found a school and then made sure we rented in the catchment area. Once they are enrolled they can't kick you out and as many people rent and are transient the move around, so once enrolled you can move to a new place in need be.

The catchment areas are generous, don't stress to much, properties come up almost weekly and don't have to same month to month start dates like South Africa, you might pay a premium while you take your first place, but can always move later.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks everyone.

The schools I am looking at for my son is very popular so I know I definitely have to rent in the catchment area. Just hoping and praying we get a rental to enable it!! private schooling is just not an option for me. I guess if he misses the first term it's just what has to be.