Not to sure where to start?!?

Anikanje

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site, my manager passed this link to me. I am currently in AU and have been a citizen for 5 years. For me coming over was a no-brainer. I am working on getting my sister here. I know this is going to sound demented but I have no idea where to start :-S Here is a few questions I have:

1) I need to give her the pros and cons - only problem is I am so biased I cant give objective info - my biased is based on I LOVE AUSTRALIA and I miss my family so much (dont have no money for da visit) and will just about do anything to get them here.

2) I was already married for a 2 years to an Aussie before coming over, my process was wham bam thank you mam en amper 10 jaar terug. I have no idea what she needs.

3) She is recently divorced and has 2 dependant kids, would they need a letter from the dad - please note kids dont want any connection with the dad, not sure if helps at all.

4) I dont even know if that is all I need to know - I am not exactly known for having my sh!t together. :P

First and foremost would be whether she is actually eligible for a visa. Does she have qualifications either a degree or trade? If yes, does she have recent working experience? If this is all yes, then you would have to look whether the job she does is listed anywhere as a need for Australia (I am sure forum members could assist you there).

So, if you can answer the above, then perhaps we can give you further advice.

So this makes a really good starter read:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/9251-the-100-step-process-to-immigrating-to-australia-from-south-africa/

1) What i have found is not too overdo the gushing adoration, people seem to end up wanting to defend RSA, and then you have lost them, stick to the facts, it is way safer, Auz still has issues just on a much smaller scale compared to RSA for example 18 000 murders in RSA last year, 300 in Auz....

Looking at the Electricity, Water, corruption and Zuma having no accountability for it, RSA is not the place for family or kids, perhaps it comes right but it is doubtful.

The moment you find she starts defending RSA, you doing it wrong (or she wont listen)...stop and try again another day

2) See above link, chat to one of the agents on the forums SD_MOA or Tee, make sure you bounce agent choice off the guys here on the forums, there are fly by night'ers that will take your money and run.

3) Yep they will need his permission, or it needs to go to court, chat to the above agent to find out the requirements, then a lawyer if required, perhaps take the points from 1 above to him, same call if it starts going wrong... stop immediately try again later

4) all good it is a lot of work, see the link above

First and foremost would be whether she is actually eligible for a visa. Does she have qualifications either a degree or trade? If yes, does she have recent working experience? If this is all yes, then you would have to look whether the job she does is listed anywhere as a need for Australia (I am sure forum members could assist you there).

So, if you can answer the above, then perhaps we can give you further advice.

She would have to come on a student visa, the only other option is a spouse visa but I cant see her being interested in the opposite sex for ages :glare:

So this makes a really good starter read:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/9251-the-100-step-process-to-immigrating-to-australia-from-south-africa/

1) What i have found is not too overdo the gushing adoration, people seem to end up wanting to defend RSA, and then you have lost them, stick to the facts, it is way safer, Auz still has issues just on a much smaller scale compared to RSA for example 18 000 murders in RSA last year, 300 in Auz....

Looking at the Electricity, Water, corruption and Zuma having no accountability for it, RSA is not the place for family or kids, perhaps it comes right but it is doubtful.

The moment you find she starts defending RSA, you doing it wrong (or she wont listen)...stop and try again another day

2) See above link, chat to one of the agents on the forums SD_MOA or Tee, make sure you bounce agent choice off the guys here on the forums, there are fly by night'ers that will take your money and run.

3) Yep they will need his permission, or it needs to go to court, chat to the above agent to find out the requirements, then a lawyer if required, perhaps take the points from 1 above to him, same call if it starts going wrong... stop immediately try again later

4) all good it is a lot of work, see the link above

Thanks Nev, I was a bit unclear she is pretty sold on coming here. But I want to give her an idea of what struggles she might face. You'd think I could call on personal experience but I really cant, her experience would be vastly different to mine. When I got here hubby and I had $100 between the two of us and had a nice little struggle. She would have me as support. I am by nature someone who prefers my own company so not having other South Africans didnt really bother me, I never felt alone in a strange land. So I meant more on a personal level what issues is there. Although the information you posted is definitely valued and I will work my way through that list. Thanks again Nev

To study in Australia, firstly she would have to pay foreign student fees, which would be very expensive. She would be allowed to also work 20 hours per week, not sure how that would assist with daily living expenses.

Perhaps she should first look into the cost of studies in the particular field that she would like to go into?

To study in Australia, firstly she would have to pay foreign student fees, which would be very expensive. She would be allowed to also work 20 hours per week, not sure how that would assist with daily living expenses.

Perhaps she should first look into the cost of studies in the particular field that she would like to go into?

Yep Mara, I would have to front the bill. :-) Would do it happily as well, just need to figure out where to get $$$$ from. But its a plan in working progress.

The other thing to check then is if her field of study could lead her to eventual PR. I know there were some studies that did, or rather that had a pathway that could lead to PR , but I would suggest that you check that by sending a PM to either SD_MOA or TeeTMI who are both registered migrstion agents on this forum, perhaps they could point you in the right direction for that information.

• Like 1

The other thing to check then is if her field of study could lead her to eventual PR. I know there were some studies that did, or rather that had a pathway that could lead to PR , but I would suggest that you check that by sending a PM to either SD_MOA or TeeTMI who are both registered migrstion agents on this forum, perhaps they could point you in the right direction for that information.

Thank you so much Mara, as soon as she becomes committed to the idea I will approach them. I was considering approaching an agent and really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

You are most welcome. Good luck with your research.