There's an app for that ...

greggle

Not only am I preparing myself for my arrival in Sept, but I am preparing my phone ... and have created a new page for some new Australian apps / widgets.

So far I have:

• Commonwealth bank's mobile banking app (my new bank)
  • Opal Travel (Sydney travel)
  • Tripview (Sydney and Melbourne public transport timetable data)
  • Rent Guide
  • Australian Traffic Cameras
  • Australian bird sounds (to identify that bird)
  • Sydney / Cape Town clock widget (so I don't accidently wake the folks at 3am in the morning)

Do you have any useful Australian Android / iOS apps on your phone / tablet? Please share!!

Edited by greggle
  • Like 1

• The realestate.co.au app, we really liked the interface and the map view
  • google maps, for navigation, we found the Apple navigation didn't have all the info like avoiding toll routes
  • your cellphone network app, once you know who you're with
  • maybe one or two sight seeing apps? for exploring your neighbourhood (I include everything within a 150km radius as neighbourhood for this purpose)

But I'm sure once you're there you'll also come across loads of other apps.

Thanks RedPanda - I have realestate.com.au on my iPad and literally spend hours looking at property!

I'm wondering though if there are any other specifically 'australian' apps as opposed to the generic maps etc.

Hi Greggle,

CycleMap, if you are a cyclist it maps out where the cycle routes are, public toilets, parking spots, water fountains etc.

mTAXI, for using your phone to dial a cab and track it in real-time, can request additions and pick-up & collection times.

Domain, like Real Estate, some properties are listed one one and not the other, so good to have both.

Spotify, while not uniquely Australian, this service is not available in SA. I used it to listen to music, cycling, jogging or even in the car, monthly service cost is less than the cost of buying one CD a month.

Hope that helps

Matt

• Like 1

I agree on the Opal Travel App. Very useful. Being new to Sydney, I use it to plan my bus, train or ferry trip. However when actually travelling, I find it useful to follow the progress on Google maps as one doesnt always know where the stop is that you need to get off at, unless following real time on google maps (or the Here app also works well).

For booking flights, Webjet is a great app. Then there is Airbnb, for short to medium term accomodation. I also use the Linkedin app for work purposes. Handy to look someone up before an interview or meeting. There is also a Domain app, handy for looking at properties to rent or buy.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Moovit is a good public transport app and works in more than one state.

I always use Hotels.Com for Hotel bookings - it was a disaster in South africa but a dream in Australia

You can use Queensland's Journey Planner - I don't think it is a proper app, but easy to use from the phone

UBER!!!

• Like 1

Double posting but so that it is in here for the future

myVEVO new app

The DIBP have announced 'myVEVO' a mobile app, download for free. The app enables you to check your Australian visa work rights, study rights, travel conditions and expiry date.

You can also email your visa details directly from myVEVO to your employer, school or other organisation.

The first time you use myVEVO, you will need your:
•visa Grant Number
•date of birth
•passport details

You can save this information with your own PIN, making it easy to access your visa details with myVEVO.

• Like 3

Wow! It's a cool app! I like it a lot. :D
Kinda weird for an app to do almost nothing and still be a good one.