457 change to PR is it possible?

Joeemm

Hi All

My brother is on a 457 visa and has a new company interested in sponsoring him for a PR rather than a 457.

We'd like to know if this is possible and what are the issues/gotcha's to watch for.

Thanks

I am not sure how it works, but I know you have to move from a temporary visa like a 457 to permanent residency before becoming a citizen.

I would also be interested to know how you jump from a temporary work visa to permanent resident.

Hi Joeemm

There is nothing to prevent someone on a 457 from applying for a permanent residence visa assuming they are eligible.

I would expect the main issue he will face is the timeline involved. The permanent residence visa takes a while to be processed and the potential new employer may not be prepared to wait the length of time for it to be processed?

If needing to move relatively quickly your brother might also look at the option of transferring his current 457 sponsorship to the new employer and whilst at the same time applying for permanent residence for the longer term security?

Tee

• Like 2

I am not a agent (Tee above is so chat to her for the official run down) but on a 457 you have two conversion options.

The first is to convert before 2 years are up, you need a higher english test result and skills assessment, but still simpler and easier than the normal full PR application, if you wait the 2 years there is no skills assessment and the english requirement is much simpler.

Both options require that the company be a sponsor

If you can do the PR now.... DO IT, i know of quite a few people who lost their 457 so getting rid of that risk is huge

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I believe he has been here almost 2 yrs so could be a good time to start the process, assuming the employer is willing to sponsor.

Good stuff, we had an agent do it for us, and was pretty straight forwards, just check the company may be willing to contribute to the application s well, ours was fully paid but that is up to the company

I am not a agent (Tee above is so chat to her for the official run down) but on a 457 you have two conversion options.

The first is to convert before 2 years are up, you need a higher english test result and skills assessment, but still simpler and easier than the normal full PR application, if you wait the 2 years there is no skills assessment and the english requirement is much simpler.

Both options require that the company be a sponsor

If you can do the PR now.... DO IT, i know of quite a few people who lost their 457 so getting rid of that risk is huge

Nev, are you talking about applying for one of the 189 / 190 type visas here?

If not, please tell us how you can "convert" from a 457 to a PR visa - I am sure others would like to know.

First a disclaimer, you are not allowed to give visa visa advice in Australia if you are not an agent, I am not and agent, so this is not advice and you need to speak to an agent like Tee who posted above....

I have done this so speaking from experience:

When you arrive on a 457 you have essentially 3 options to get PR (i am simplifying here),

1) Forget the 457 and the company and do your own PR application following the same process as if you were in RSA, points, skills assessment etc

2) Get your company to sponsor you before 2 years are up, you will need the skills assessment, work experience validation, Skills shortage list, 7 english score, basically a full visa application without the points.

3) Get your company to sponsor you after 2 years, waiting 2 years there is no more skills test and a 5 for english, i also dont think you need to be on the skills shortage list, not sure though.

For points 2 & 3 the company must be able and willing to sponsor you, and there are some precursors like medical etc.... and it is a 186 visa that you end up with, but the 186 is full PR with no conditions.

Option 3 was my only option as i wouldn't have qualified for the options 1 or 2, I have PR now, option 3 is really easy to get if you have a willing company.

Here is the official blurb from the Auz Immigration site:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

• Like 1