Transferring money to South Africa ?

elleneo

I would like to send some money back to South Africa to my mom to buy me a few things before her visit later this year, what is the best way to do this?

Edited by elleneo

With ANZ you can do it online, costs $22 per transfer, although the last transfer I made was a while ago, price may have changed.

I am sure most of the other banks have the same facility!

Thanks Mara, I was wondering if anyone had used other companies/facilities like those in the 7-elevens or online companies?

Not sure how much you had in mind could look at exchange for free or cashkows. Western union is a nightmare.

• Like 1

Hi, I send money to ZA quite often with "WorldRemit". They are great...

• Like 1

Yep, "WorldRemit" are way better than the banks here. Also remember, you need to supply a phone number and contact details for the person you are transferring to so that the banks in ZA can phone and ask if they know you (ZA Law).

• So I transfer money to my own ZA bank account
  • put my details as the contact
  • I get phoned
  • and asked by name whether I know me
  • Of course I do
  • ok....

And you wonder why...but that's ZA

• Like 1

I have a standing order setup with my own personal bank account in RSA (At absa)

Do a bank transfer from CMB here, 3 days later the money is in my account in RSA, then i transfer to to where it needs to go from there.

There are some other alternatives too. Have a look at the option of Currency Online.

www.randrescue.com/forex.

Very low fees and Rand Rescue would assist you with any problems along the way.

Hi to all

Nev's option is excellent specially if you do it every month

Best is to use one of the known SA groups, Forexcapital or Currency Assist

Why the questions on fund arrival in SA: There are specific rules that allow you to extract funds sent to SA, from SA without tax clearance

So: Elleneo, if you can transfer to your own account, as you are then protected and can take funds out of SA next time you have excess cash. If no SA bank account transfer to your mother but ensure you use one of the locals as they understand our rules. It will save your Mom SARs questions on donations tax. As a rule there is no donations tax in SA on funds coming in from outside SA, in your case it is not a donation, you are paying a debt off as your Mom is buying you some goodies ie you owe her the funds. Answers to the "silly" phone call far more important than understood at the time of the call

• Like 1

I want to transfer some money to my mother. I dot have a South African bank account anymore. If I use world remit will the bank In South africa deduct a fee when my mother collects it?

I would like to send some money back to South Africa to my mom to buy me a few things before her visit later this year, what is the best way to do this?

Hi there,

Please consider Exchange4free. We cover all receiving fees often paid by recipients.

We charge ABSOLUTELY NO Commissions or FEES. You will only pay the exchange rate difference and we strive to live up to our Best Price Guarantee Policy!

You can register directly on our website in as much time as it will take to make a cup of tea :)

www.exchange4free.com

Please let us know if you would like a consultant to contact you?

My mum receives the bulk of what I send. If there is a fee at the ZA bank then its very small..

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not possible to offer to transfer money for people on their behalf in South Africa, if they in turn put money into your Aus bank account? I suspect there is some legality that prevents this, but it does seem mutually benificial?

• Like 1

@dme,

I think if the amounts stay small then there is nothing really preventing this. But if you start doing it too often, or the amounts get big then you'll probably run into legal trouble.

Yep, "WorldRemit" are way better than the banks here. Also remember, you need to supply a phone number and contact details for the person you are transferring to so that the banks in ZA can phone and ask if they know you (ZA Law).

• So I transfer money to my own ZA bank account
  • put my details as the contact
  • I get phoned
  • and asked by name whether I know me
  • Of course I do
  • ok....
And you wonder why...but that's ZA

Do you get charged any fees by your receiving South African bank? Many of these online companies advertise no fees but South African banks charge a fee to receive forex.

• 3 weeks later...

Exchange4free can help you out no matter what amount you woukld like to send! :ilikeit:

• 4 months later...
On 27/07/2015 at 3:19 AM, Nev said:

I have a standing order setup with my own personal bank account in RSA (At absa)

Do a bank transfer from CMB here, 3 days later the money is in my account in RSA, then i transfer to to where it needs to go from there.

Are you not required to phone ABSA to get them to release the funds? I was at ABSA this morning and this is the info I was given. I'm assuming you need to have a cellphone and some way of getting the RVN messages? Or am I incorrect?

Not sure if we missing each other, i am transferring the money from my bank in Australia to ABSA in RSA, normally there would need to be an authorisation process before the money shows up in the ABSA account, however the standing order means this is not the case.

As a separate issue when i want to create a new beneficiary on my ABSA account i do need and get the RVN number, i have just had them use my Australian Cell number, so it appears on me cell here in Auz, and the rest is as normal

• Like 1