Internet

Hello everyone,

I wasnt too sure where to post this I thought General might be the best bet. We will be travelling to Oz around end of October for a 2-3 month period, and hopefully during that time we can find employment (fingers and toes and everything else crossed). Can anyone advise as to how is the most efficient way to organise internet connection, that will enable us to hit the ground running and apply for jobs online. We are planning on staying with friends who do have internet but we also would like to use our laptop and be mobile as possible as we intend on travelling quite a bit and need internet connection wherever we go. I am assuming it is as easy to acquire sim cards for mobile phones whilst we are there too?

Thanks for any help guys :-)

Yes, pre-paid SIMS are readily available, inexpensive and don't have to be RICA'd like South Africa. I'd bring a mobile modem from SA as it will be unlocked in accordance with local rules, allowing you to use any provider. You can rent one, but not a bad idea to bring your own. If your laptop has built in WIFI all libraries have FREE internet, many with computers, others just WIFI. Many shopping centers have FREE WIFI, as well as coffee shops and chain stores, if you choose not to bring or rent a 3/4G modem.

Cheers

Matt

https://www.telstra.com.au/online-shop/mobile-broadband.cfm#/prepaid

I would get a Pre-Paid 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Ultimate. You only need one sim card for it and can connect multiple devices to it.

But if you both want to phone each other then just get two sim cards....you can pick them up in bargain bins at checkouts for $2 a sim card. So dont buy it at the airport when you arrive but go to Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, Aus Post, Coles, Woolies etc

I use Amaysim - www.amaysim.com.au. They piggyback off the Optus network and are quite good and affordable.

Just be aware that you will need to do a "RICA" like process, either when you buy the sim or when you activate it online. At the very least you'll need to provide your passport number or an address (I don't think you need to show proof of this address, though).

Dono,

I didnt have to do any sort of RICA process when I got to Aus. Just bought a SIM at the local shop and was up and running in 2 minutes.

I bought an Optus prepaid SIM at the airport, was quick and easy and provided ample data for our 2 week campervan activation trip.

Another tip is that many smartphones and tablets have the facility to setup a WIFI hotspot, allowing other wifi-enabled devices to share the connection.

Just pick up a prepaid mobile device from any of the big phone companies, telstra, optus, virgin etc. you will need 100 points of ID so if you get a bank statement with your names and address printed off from a branch when you arrrive, apply for your medicare cards and change your driving license over those should be enough to get you over the line.

Also when getting a contract phone, if you say you are a stay at home parent they wont worry about your income details so makes it easier to get a contract phone.

• Like 1

Dono,

I didnt have to do any sort of RICA process when I got to Aus. Just bought a SIM at the local shop and was up and running in 2 minutes.

I did, when I got a prepaid .... in 2002

When I got onto a contract, obviously the SIM didn't matter because they already had my details ....

BTW

I wouldn't use the "Free WiFi" in most places, since in many places, other users can scan what you are doing - banking details and passwords (under certain circumstances), email and so on - rather get a device with a SIM, even if it costs a bit more.