How safe are we really?

Numb3rgirl

Hi all,

I read this article today: http://businesstech.co.za/news/government/90808/south-africa-is-one-of-the-most-violent-and-unsafe-countries-in-the-world/ and just once again realised that if you can leave SA for a safer country any other obstacles you might face along the way are most definitely worth it. Australia ranks as the 9th safest country in the world, new Zealand is at 4... And SA at 136, only 26 spots from the bottom, and right alongside countries like Russia, Pakistan... Do we really want to live in fear all the time?

On a more positive note though, we are currently in the process, and although it's a lot of hard work I know we have made the right decision.

Good luck to everyone else out there who are also busy with their plans...

Have a nice safe day everyone!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

True. Anyone who says they don't live in fear in SA just doesn't realise how ingrained it is in their daily life so they don't even notice it anymore. I was certainly one of them until I left for a holiday and soon realised its not how many other countries live.

• 2 weeks later...

True. Anyone who says they don't live in fear in SA just doesn't realise how ingrained it is in their daily life so they don't even notice it anymore. I was certainly one of them until I left for a holiday and soon realised its not how many other countries live.

I agree with this 100%. Comparing with countries that I have been to, such as India, which is way poorer than South Africa but I never felt threatened or in fear of my life. In fact, some locals that I have met for the first time at a bus station were extremely kind and helpful. I could be walking around in the city and nobody would come and ask / harass me for something (besides the beggars <_< ), and actually got randomly invited to someone's house for tea while walking on the street :P . When poverty is been used as an excuse for crime and violence, really doesn't hold up.

My friends, family, colleagues, and myself included have all been a victim of violent crimes multiple times... These are people that I know and work with personally, which make it much worse as opposed to reading it in the newspaper. I am also just starting the process, getting all my research done and hopefully will start the application soon.

@blung,

Yes, I read it. What a load of rubbish. I'm very sure that psychologists have a well studied and exhaustively described 'syndrome' for people who survive terrible things and subsequently think they are bullet proof. Well he obviously has it.

Did you guys read this?

https://www.facebook.com/dawie.roodt/posts/934024319976700

Have to respectfully disagree with old Dawie on this.

I also don't agree with it but a part of m is glad that there are still optimists left. South Africa is a beautiful country which is really not doing well. As long as there are optimists like him there is still a chance for the country in the long term. That doesn't mean I am going to bet the lives and futures of my family on it though.

• Like 1

To summarise the article - "I'm too old to/don't feel like/can't afford to leave, therefore I am going to justify why my "choice" is the best."

What gets me is a lot of these people are on about staying to help fix it.... what are they planing to do, dance in front of the union buildings?

Unfortunately joe average from south Africa has zero chance of fixing anything, even though this chap has a bit of a name for himself, he is a economist, who like all economists is talking about how this is the beginning of the end....and getting ignored... na i would rather take my family to safety.