Returning to SA

Crystal

Hey everyone :)

Just wondering if anyone can share their experience/s re returning to SA? I have my own many brain-wobbles as I read the various posts on this and other social media sites, but it's still 'home' and I'd like to hear your comments too...

Thanks in advance

Crys

Are you asking because you're considering it?

Hi Riekie and Elleneo

Yes I am considering going back home forever ever... :)

Hi Riekie and Elleneo

Yes I am considering going back home forever ever... :)

If it would make you happy, you should do it.

We all know the reasons why we left. We all know the reasons not to go back (and so do you)... but, if you've given Australia a fair try, and you are happier there, go :)

If you can stick it out to get citizenship then maybe do that if it's not too far away. Keep the door open in case you change your mind again.

Edited by Donovan83
  • Like 2

Thanks Donovan

I appreciate your response, but of coarse I will make my own decisions for my own reasons - I'm hoping to hear from people who have gone back or have experiential learning re the settling back and adjustments etc. :blush-anim-cl:

C

Hi Crystal,

I left SA with the view to never return, That has not changed. So I am biased. I would rather end up in the can in Aus than free in SA. Granted my view is probablly on the more extreme side, but I am honest. :jester: Wish you all the best with your decision.

• Like 1

I agree with Donovan that citizenship would keep your options open to come and go.

When last did you visit RSA? Perhaps more regular visits would help? You don't necessarily have to choose RSA over Australia. You could share your time between both places and have the best of both worlds.

May I be so bold as to suggest that sometimes our unsettled feelings and yearnings for the comfort of the past won't be cured by geography. People from our past have also moved on with their lives and going back doesn't always "fit" the same way again.

• Like 1

Try the website rainbow nation,this geared towards returning expats.

I wish I could help more but I've been in aus 6 years and haven't even been back for a holiday. I would of course advise getting your citizenship so you have the choice to return if you want to.

Hello everyone and mega thanks for your responses.

Sorry for being vague before - I guess my reason for return is the only one that makes sense to a mother... FAMILY - I left my grown kids behind as I chased my heart across the Indian ocean but I can now no longer manage the void. Lifestyle and employment has been good to me here, and I wish I could miraculously have my kids give up their lives in SA with their new relationships, jobs etc, and follow me. Unfortunately my status will not fast-track immigration for them, as I am on a PR for 2 years, which means they will have to apply for immigration as individuals - considering the tedious process and costs and employment options, I'd be in a straight-jacket by the time they get here (phew!).

I guess I just needed to reach out to you lovely people who have some concept of the SAAustralia yinyang. I know lots has changed (for the worst) back home and the transition will be a trying one, but grateful to those who have come full circle, for their invaluable input.

:magic:

C

• 1 month later...

Think very carefully before coming back. We left and went to the UK and then Ireland in 2002. After 5 years we returned to South Africa thinking that thinks would be ok. Life in SA is far from rosy with corruption rife in government departments etc. Money that is meant for roads, housing etc is moved into people's private banking accounts. Crime is common and the police do not have an interest to sort it out. This is a general statement as there as some very good government officials and police officers but they are few and far between. The future in SA looks bleak with electricity cuts, soaring costs for fuel, food etc. Electricity is stolen daily and nothing is done to rectify this. Unfortunately I am over fifty now so moving to Australia will be much more difficult for us. My advice to you would be get your Australian citizenship and then make a decision but only make this decision once you have been back for a holiday to SA. Trust you make the right decision and wishing you all the best.

Tim

Hi. No we would prefer to move to Australia where the weather especially winter is more like South Africa. Winters in UK and the Republic of Ireland can be very miserable. All the best.

Hi. No we would prefer to move to Australia where the weather especially winter is more like South Africa. Winters in UK and the Republic of Ireland can be very miserable. All the best.

Might want to avoid Victoria then :jester:

• Like 1

My hubby and I moved back to SA two years ago, after being overseas for 6 years. We're still quite young, so hopefully you can relate somewhat a bit to our story.

We couldn't take it anymore living in the UK, we were not in London, lived up North, so was colder and tougher as less expats.

We got home to SA to start from absolute scratch, it literally took us till Feb this year to find our own place, in the area we wanted that was pet friendly too. I am on my third job now, first one fizzled out, second one I was treated soooooo badly by my manager and colleagues (for no reason expect due to stress) and now I LOVE this job I'm currently in. I've been pretty scared crime wise, and service delivery especially mobile phone providers, are shocking. Beyond shocking. There have been so many reports of peoples mobile data going through the roof recently, and no provider is claiming responsibility, and blames it on the client. Telkom, no need to say more. With all the many many things I can complain about, I love SA, its people (the good ones!) and the lifestyle and endless summer we have had in Durban. We thought we were home for good till my hubby got an offer, that I first said point blank no way. But looked more into it, and ending up accepting. Life is too short to not do what you want.....our family is devastated and quite upset that we're leaving, but we have to do it for ourselves, Aus is so hard to get into, and here we are being handed it on a platter.

I will miss my family terribly, but will also be a welcome "holiday" to be further away for family drama's now :)

You really just have to ask yourself what is most important.

Any one that immigrates overseas, no matter where it is in the world, every single person misses their family.

But for us, the opportunity and safe lifestyle, and good government, far out way being near to our family. Your situation might be totally different though, but thought I'd share my thoughts too. Its definitely not been rosy, but I was settled enough to want to stay too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello there, I realised I wasnt perhaps clear in my objectives in my post on this site.

I returned for family reasons, more explicitly to be home with my kids... no better or understandable reason than that I think :) I just couldnt live without my family any more.

I appreciate the input form everyone and hapy to say that I am settled and back in the craziness of Jozie'land... yes, embracing all the craziness (taxi mayhem, traffic, economics etc etc) and the inexplicable beautiful yinyang that is called South Africa.

Anyone in Johannesburg wanna hookup for a coffee chat, ping me :)

Signed: Home is where the heart is

• Like 2

We need to frame your post and put it up in a wall.

Some people just make up their mind what they *need* to go to Australia. Thats why you go through all the checks before they give you a VISA. Its not just because Aussie is cherry picking the people it wants most. Its also because not everyone is going to be happy here.

Sure the government can't understand your family circumstance. But they can check for things like, "will you earn enough to be comfortable?"

I am glad you have found your happy place ?

• Like 1