Charne

I bet you thought I was going to say alcoholic but no, I'm an... African. :jester:

I've been spying on the forums since June 2014 and decided to climb out of the shadows and into the light to get me some of the action :boxing:

After contemplating where to post my questions or concerns I thought an introduction is in order/ and a good place to start.

My partner and I have been on the migration train since May 2014 when we had decided to move over.

We've been spending the bulk of our time waiting for my partner's occupation to show up on a state sponsorship list.

Late last week after South Australia had released their new point system we realized we had to spark to get our application done and unfortunately we had to abandon the 190 Visa we were originally gunning for due to a lack of points on account of work experience.

Earlier this week we've lodged a state nomination application, our intentions is to apply for a 489 visa and with this, new thoughts and concerns came to mind about finding work on a Visa that has a short life span/dependent on renewals/citizenship applications.

I suppose we don't need any specific advice, I'd just like some greater support system for our journey as most of you have been through it all and I want to gain ALL the wisdom and share some too!!

I'll be posting again should something be burning in my mind.

Nice to meet you guys.

Edited by Charne
  • Like 3

Welcome to the club :ilikeit:

Welcome and all the best for your application and the emotional and physical journey you are embarking on. Sadly I can't add insight/advice/shared experience into the 489 process for you, but I am sure there are many others who can :)

The 489 visa is only restricting in that you have to live and work regionally for 2 years.....keep all your lease agreements, electricity bills etc and if the main visa applicant changes jobs, get reference letters from employers stating the hours they worked per week and where they worked (to prove it was indeed in a regional area) - you will need these when you apply for PR once your 2 years are up. It's not a hard visa for PR to follow. You just need to prove you've stuck to the visa conditions. You will also need a national police clearance but no english tests and usually no medicals are required.

The 2 years will fly by and before you know it, you'll be applying for that all important PR visa.

Good luck with your journey.

Welcome, hope you find many answers here.

My only advice, please ensure that there is job availability for you in the regional areas, before you apply!

Welcome!! And all the best with the journey ahead :)

Thank you for all the responses and advice.

Super excited for the journey and the prospects of making a new country my home.

Edited by Charne

Charne, you have a fantastic attitude. Aussie is indeed a wonderful opportunity to try something new :)