Newish!

eyeice

Sorry guys. I have only now realised there is a specific spot to introduce myself. I have been lurking in the background just reading all I can possibly lay my eyes on. I have oficially started my process. Hope to get my skills assessed before the end of the year so that I can lodge my EOI in the hopes that I might have my PR within a year from now. It seems doable. My occupation is on the latest skills list etc etc.

I am doing this without an agent. I am also under 30 and am doing this completely solo. I just figured... "if not now then when?"

Any of you out there who were or are in the same boat with regards to doing this solo? Something to calm the nerves, perhaps?

All the best to everyone!

• Like 2

Welcome officially, now that you are no longer lurking! Trust you will get many of your questions answered by our great forum members.

Hey, the process has been designed so that you don't need an agent. The Migration Agent Registration Authority even have a video on their website explaining about when you would actually need an agent. http://www.mara.gov.au

So, rest assured, it is very doable.

Some advise would be to request every document you can get from home affairs early on in the process. Things like, unabridged birth certificates for each person you include on the VISA, marriage certificate, proof of divorse, etc..

I would also always read the fine print. For example, for a b.com to qualify as an IT degree, it must have certain majors. When I applied, that was hidden in a several page pdf document.

Oh and live your life. Don't put your life on hold while you apply! The only change you need to make is to stop collecting a lot of clutter and to save a bit more each month.

I always remind people that the cost of living here can be as much as 2x South Africa. It can take 6 months before you find a job and get a pay cheque. Aussie is a first world country, you can't stay in the 3rd shack from the left and live of mealie meal while you look for a job.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi eyeice,

I did the whole application process by myself while my husband was working and doing his masters in statistics. We applied for a 189, and it was granted without even a query(so we didn't even know when we got a CO).

It is totally possible to do the whole process by yourself.

Go on the government website, download the booklet, I think it's number 6, for the 189 visa, and read it carefully. I would personally recommend that you get all of your documents ready, write IELTS(or similar), make sure your passport is still valid for long enough, and get the Aussie assessment of your skills and work experience BEFORE lodging an EOI. Simply because this way you are sure about how many points they will give you.

And double check your police clearance certificate, mine said Mr Sutherland, and I've since heard many stories of other mistakes.

And if you have specific questions, this forum collectively has loads of experience, go ahead and ask them! ;)

Best of luck :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone. Thanks RedPanda...I have read the booklet and know more or less what to do. Are there any of you guys who did the move alone? Meaning as a singleton. Its frightning!

Hey eyeice! We are also doing it without an agent and will hopefully lodge our EOI in Sept! Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Uhm...eyeice, I'm starting to think that you should begin a thread with the topic: Immigrating as a singleton. Because I can see we are misunderstanding you...

Eyeice I don't think immigrating as a single person will be difficult. In fact I think it may be easier than going as a couple admin-wise!

Nah. No need. Just wanted to introduce myself mainly. Thanks anyway. And best of luck to you all.