Clothing for toddlers

Mongoose

Hi Guys,

So we have been here for the past week and with the persistent rain I am looking to make an investment in a different type of jacket for my girls.

On an average day they wear a sleeveless vest, long sleeve T-shirt, pullover / jersey and their raincoats (plastic Hello Kitty). As a result the past two days when I go out, the kids either cant run or play nicely in their raincoats as they are uncomfortable or they are still getting cold.

Anyone in the Melbourne area with toddlers who has any advice please?

I saw two kids in the park today with puffer vest jackets but they don't really look very waterproof.

Thanks a mil

Wayne

• Like 1

You've probably missed most of the snowgear sales for the nice stuff. Otherwise a nice lightweight rainjacket/wind-cheater they come lined with Polar Fleece. BigW/Target. Aldi has the once a year snowgear sales. Rain in Vic is like water off a duck's back to the locals...almost 2yrs on we still hate it! Lol! (Mom of 3!: 10,4 & almost2)Puffer jackets are not bad, but your arms obviously get wet if sleeveless type. Otherwise check the Op.shops you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find 2nd hand for the kids! Found a lot of stuff brand new for $2/3! (Beanies for the heads & ears too...otherwise the cold will mess with the ears & noses etc) ? PS- don't go by looks either- quality isn't the same as RSA - most of the stuff we've found is tailored to the Vic climate i.e. THE COLD!)

Edited by SmellyN
  • Like 1

Cant help with the jacket part, but I almost exclusively buy my toddlers clothes at Best and Less. Great 100% cotton stuff.

Aldi often has kids clothing on their specials. They had one a while ago and the the stuff is marked down, perhaps check it out if you have an Aldi nearby.

Thanks a mil everyone. Will go hunting and see what I can find.

I just don't take my kids outside when it's actually raining, except for muddy puddle hopping with their umbrellas! It really doesn't rain that constantly? It will rain one day and then the next few days will be clear. Sometimes I think I live in a different Melbourne to other people. Maybe most are closer to the coast where it is more windy and rainy. ;)

You get lots of fleezy warm stuff to wear or buy a good quality jacket at Pumpkin Patch or Myer for warmth, it will last a long time. Best and Less and K-Mart is good for cheaper stuff.

Also look on your local buy,swap,sell and tradingpost FB pages. You get good as new baby stuff for next to nothing - often only worn once or twice, especially if it is seasonal (such as snow jackets etc).

For instance:

https://www.facebook.com/kidsstuffmelbourne

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Melbourne-Buy-Sell-Swap/114007991972277

• Like 1

Melbourne doesn't get a great deal of rain - Perth and Sydney get more. It's more the overcast and cloud that is deceiving. I agree with Aldi, Target do some pretty good coats. Kathmandu do good stuff but you need to wait for the sales usually 60% off.

• 4 weeks later...

Growing up in the UK I can definitely understand the need for good decent warm and waterproof clothes. I grew up in the North of England where it almost feels like it rains everyday (and most likely does). If you stayed inside every time it rained you would never go anywhere, so I would adapt. Kids love the rain, and I certainly did and enjoyed countless hours jumping in puddles. Children wont get ill from the rain, buy some good waterproof gear, some wellington boots umbrellas and you're good to go. There are times living in Durban where I really miss the rain :-) Hoping to move to Melbourne soon so that might help.