New members

Shanette

Hi all we are a family of four hoping to meet up with you all soon in Oz. Any comments, advice or links you can post will be highly appreciated, especially when it comes to things that can be done any time before the eoi in order to speed up the process.

Edited by Shanette
  • Like 1

Hi Shanette, just wanted to say welcome and hope that you find lots of answers from our lovely forum members!

• Like 1

Hey Shanette, don't be in such a rush. Your day to day life in Aussie is pretty similar to RSA. Moving to Aussie is about securing a future where a violent crime makes the morning news and has people in a flap for a few days. It's also about saving for retirement in a currency that will be worth something when you retire.

So, what I am saying is, enjoy your time left in RSA. Don't be on a mad rush to get here :) Its just going to drive you insane!

So, what I am saying is, enjoy your time left in RSA. Don't be on a mad rush to get here :) Its just going to drive you insane!

Depending on the visa, once activated you have 5 years to move to australia.

Welcome. Things I would suggest is that you read read read. Study exactly all the requirements that Border Force (or what DIMA/DIAC/IMMI is called now a days) may want. Get the documents well in advance. I think the biggest delay that is in your control is the documentation from South Africa. It can takes months and months just to get one piece of paper out of an institution. and I am not just speaking about Home Affairs but all institutions. I know my mother in law struggled to get a letter from the South African Teaching Department for months on end.

So if you know what documentation may be asked of you, then apply for months before it is asked of you.

• Like 1

Jordy has given you a good answer. The only thing I would add is to start decluttering your home. It always takes longer than you expected to pack up.

And just remember, you are dealing with governments. Your VISA application may take 5 months or it may take 5 years. Don't put yourself under pressure. I have seen many people go through unnecessary stress due to it :(

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the great advice, I am glad we have forum's like these. Thank you to the creators. I have started decluttering,but hubby wants to wait till we know for certain that our visas will be approved before we sell or give anything away.

Have a great day everyone :)

Some motivation...

That's a picture of the Brangaroo construction site and the aquarium in the Sydney CBD.

Barangaroo is the large office tower in the back left :)

post-14357-0-30445900-1435906410_thumb.j

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Is there a way to get permanent residency visa once you are already in Australia on a work visa? Do companies pay your costs for both the work visa and the 189? Pro's and con's?

Hi Shanette and everyone out there

We are just starting the process now too. Hubby is doing his Pearson PTE test on Wed next week- really stressing for this but he has been studying every day, so with a little luck and a lot of faith, hopefully he will get the required 65 on all bands so we can move to the next step.

We're hoping to apply for a 189 visa, but time is also of the essence as he turns 33 in Jan, which would mean he gets 5 less points...which would put us below 60 points

It looks like this whole process is going to be a roller coaster ride, full of ups and downs... but we're trying to keep the end goal in mind- a better life for our 2,5 yr old twins :)

Good luck to everyone else who is in this process- its great to have a forum like this where people in the same boat can share experience, tips and ideas

• Like 1

Hi Jaxbaker. Thanks for the share. I think what makes it seem like a Rollercoaster is the fact that most of the waiting periods and/or outcomes are mostly beyond your control, and because your future literally depends on it. But having faith in your abilities and the safe, secure future you have envisioned can easily be enough to get you through it with a positive attitude. My ten cents worth anyway, haha. But welcome to you too and all of the best for you. :)

• Like 1

Hi Shanette,

Welcome to a very helpful and generous community. I'm sure you'll find answers to almost all your questions here.

• Like 1

Hi Shanette,

Welcome to a very helpful and generous community. I'm sure you'll find answers to almost all your questions here.

Thank you doggit

Hey Guys,

It really depends on the company as to what they will pay for. But few companies pay for your permanent residency VISA. The economy is going through a rough patch now that the mining boom has ended. My advise would be to not expect anything :(

As for the long wait. The pastor at my church once said that your heart is where your money is. He was trying to convince people to tithe and to donate to their community initiatives. But the same logic applies to you guys. You will need to save up several months salary to move out here. So, you tend to put your heart into the migration process.

But the best advise we can give you is to remind yourself how great South Africa is and how you can have a great life, no matter where you live and invest your time into.

The mining boom is over. Iron Ore is Aussies biggest export. So its hurt Aussie a lot. Even China is looking to be less dependent on countries like Australia for the minerals they need.

Australia will adjust, but slowly. Prices will continue to rise higher than salaries for a while. Buying a home may still be unaffordable in many places for the next few years.

So, its not like RSA is hell and Aussie is nirvana :)

Edited by monsta

But the best advise we can give you is to remind yourself how great South Africa is and how you can have a great life, no matter where you live and invest your time into.

Heh? You say some weird things sometimes :D

I do agree though, that Aus is not the silver bullet that people expect it to be a lot of the time.

That said, with your statistical chances of being shot, BEE'd, raped, mugged, etc far less than that in SA, you certainly have the raw materials to be able to make a good life happen. The rest is up to hard work and little luck.

Best of luck :) lots of info (and varying opinions) here on the forum!

• Like 1

What you all say is true but for me personally, the fact that my daughters will have the basic human rights and freedom of playing outside and of riding their bikes in the street without fear of attack or worse is worth it for me.

• Like 1

What you all say is true but for me personally, the fact that my daughters will have the basic human rights and freedom of playing outside and of riding their bikes in the street without fear of attack or worse is worth it for me.

Absolutely. The freedom this place allows your kids is something else.

• Like 2