One year in

DXB2OZ

That's great news!

I like the way you ended your post! It's good for people to know that moving to Australia can be a wonderful move, but Aussie isn't perfect.

When people decide to make the move, they become so negative about RSA. I keep saying to them, "don't be negative about RSA! your daily grind is pretty similar regardless of which country you live in!"

I always think the change is much more of a step up if you arrive here from India or Thailand. Which just goes to show how good many things still are in RSA :)

You will find toothpicks amongst the party stuff, go figure, I had to ask to find them!

Such a lovely post DXB2OZ. I think at the beginning everything is so new and confusing and everything you do or buy takes so much extra thought and research than in SA. As time goes by, it all gets easier and more familiar.

I am 6 months in and cannot believe how time flys by!

Mara, my world is now complete. Looked in the party section and there were toothpicks next to the birthday candles. Go figure.

Your place in heaven will always be assured.

• Like 1

You are most welcome :ilikeit:

Sheesh, all those little stupid things that fill my head... filed away for use another day! :whome:

I do hope you will be joining us later this month at the meet up? http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/45286-saaus-melbourne-meet/

You will find toothpicks amongst the party stuff, go figure, I had to ask to find them!

Ja, of course! You use floss to remove trapped food from between your teeth, and toothpicks to spear little frikkadels at a party. Simple as that :)

Serious question: Where else would you find toothpicks other than the party aisle? I think I've been here too long and have been indoctrinated.

Happy 1 year - I enjoyed your post and am glad things are working out. :)

Great to hear :)

Don't you okes know how to use a fish or chicken bone to pick your teeth? Where are your manners! :jester: :jester:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for reminding me of the light that awaits me at the end of the tunnel!

I am having it 'easy' as my husband is an ex-Zimbo and has been in Australia for almost 30 years; I therefore do not have to struggle with the big setting-up issues, but this means that I have more time to navel gaze in between trawling the daily job alerts and waiting at the phone for that elusive call to a job interview that never comes ...

PS I would put toothpicks next to the brooms and mops as they are perfect for digging out dirt from narrow grooves/slots.

PPS Did I mention that I became an instant expert on local cleaning materials? My beloved had spent more than three years with me in Cape Town and we moved back to a house that had been trashed by the (Aussie) tenant.

Welcome to the forum HennetteC! :)

About the toothpicks, hehehe...I'm too impatient for stuff like that, if the groove is formed by things that stay like that permanently then it's very likely I'll just fill it with something(silicone, crack filler, whatever is appropriate) and be done with it.

But good luck with the house, I can only imagine it feels very unwelcoming to get it like that. On the other hand, it forces you personally to get to know every nook and cranny, and 'leave your trail' all over the house. Which might actually help you to feel like you belong there much faster? ^_^