Schools in Adelaide- some advise please

NWright

Hi, we plan to land early Jan 2016 in Adelaide to have the kids in school by end Jan starting the new year in their new school!

Any advise on good primary schools please (not private)? I realize the schools are very area specific therefore before we look at areas we need to figure the schools out. My kids are 5&7 yrs, so I think they will start year 1 and 3 next year? Any advise please

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hey,

I am more than happy to help :)

Since i have been in Australia i have found that generally when you live in a decent area you will have access to a decent primary school in your catchment area. And generally speaking, South Africans moving to Australia generally try live in decent areas.

That said, we live South of the city (about 15kms) in Flagstaff Hill, and along with neighboring suburbs such as Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley, all have access to to very good public schools.

Do you have any idea where in Adelaide you plan to live?

Cheers,

Robbie

• Like 1

Hi Robbie,

Thank you for helping and your advise! Yes flagstaff hill Is an area that we look at, but would love to live close to the coast as well...

We are doing a finding house/school/work trip in August and in Adelaide 22-28 Aug, keen to meet you guys for some advise...

Thank you

Nelize

• 1 month later...

Hi Nelize

We are starting the visa application process soon and will end up in Adelaide due to state sponsorship. It would be really great to hear about your trip to Adelaide. We're hoping to go early next year sometime.

Robbie, any views on Hallett Cove? Are there any areas to definitely avoid in/around Adelaide?

Thanks

Jackie

Hi Robbie

I tried to send you a PM but for some reason did not want to go through.

Here my email address... Please send me your details, would love to meet for a cup of coffee next week.

Nelize.wright@gmail.com

Jackie-anytime... Once we back we can share our experience.

Thank you

Nelize

Wonderful... happy travels!

• 2 weeks later...

Hallet Cove is a great suburb and is not far from us :)

Robbie, any views on Hallett Cove? Are there any areas to definitely avoid in/around Adelaide?

Thanks Jolene... Good to hear!

Nelize... how was your trip to Adelaide? Would love to hear about it :-)

Hi Jackie

It was great. We spent a lot of time driving around... Was just too cold to do anything outside... aparantly unusual cold winter. People are sooo nice, and although a lot of things are very different, we never felt foreign.

We found it expensive, I hope once one start earning dollars the multiply by 10 will stop and its easy to ease into that economy!

We don't have final dates yet but working hard into that direction. It is a great place for families and bringing up kids... Which we experienced only a little but talking to people all say the same.

To sum it up. We loved Adelaide!

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds wonderful... We just booked our tickets today for a trip next year March to Adelaide for 10 days and then a weekend in Sydney... Qantas having a huge sale! :-)

Which areas did you like? Where did you stay? Did you visit any schools?

HI NWright

Good day. Thanks for starting this thread. I have the same question. We would also land in Adelaide due to state sponsorship. One of the main motivation for my decision to migrate is for my son's education. I want to start looking for good schools & house in that school zone area.

My son is turning 6 next month. I need to look for standard one for him. Pls suggest some good public school

What is your thought on IB curriculum (PYP) Vs South Australia Curriculum?

Schools are starting from Jan, but we might land there may be in Feb 2016 or Mar 2016. Would it be possible to tentatively book / finalise the school now and start from term 2?

Did you visit schools? how was your experience? pls share

Thanks