LSD: Adelaide,Melbourne,Sydney

AlwaysThankfull

Hi Awesome people,

We are planning our LSD trip end Sep, 20 SEp to 5 Oct, we got a 190 SA Visa so would stay in Adelaide for at least 2 years. We however would like to see a bit more of Oz and planned the following:
Fly CPT-JHB-Perth-Adelaide, stay 4 days in Adelaide and then drive to Melbourne, spend a few days there then fly to Sydney , spend a few days then fly to Adelaide,spend a day and fly back to Cape Town.... We are traveling with a 22 month todler, so i was wondering if i might be piling on too much for the time we are there.
My work is more in Sydney so would probably end up there or Melbourne if Adelaide does not fit after 2 years.

Everybody has a different agenda and trip but i wondered if anyone had a previous itinerary and how it worked out? I would also try to make contact with some potential employers in Adelaide and try to just show face perhaps on the LSD trip. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

You have two weeks...

You want to move mountains in that time, but you will kill yourself trying to do so with a toddler in tow!

Take a deep breath, you are obliged to live in Adelaide for the first two years, why not spend 10 days there really checking out the place, even the areas around Adelaide, perhaps you find somewhere else that you love (dependent on work, of course). You will have the opportunity to check out suburbs, instead of a hotel, try to get a place on http://www.stayz.com.au/ which will allow you to buy groceries, make your own meals and give you a great idea of what life may be like, living there.

Then fly to Melbourne or Sydney, spend the next 4 days there, just sight seeing, and having a break, after doing your hard yards in Adelaide.

Fly directly back to Perth and on to RSA, mission accomplished.

There is no point in killing yourself trying to take in too much. When you make the move and you are living in Adelaide, you will have enough time to check out both Melbourne and Sydney at your leisure. If something happens that you do not find work in Adelaide and you have to make a move to either Melbourne or Sydney, then quite frankly I guess it would be where you can find employment so it won't really matter if you preferred the one over the other, you would need to go where the work is.

I have found, with the forum members that I meet, that especially those with young children, find the constant moving around a drag rather than a pleasure and that it completely unsettles the children.

Just my opinion, you are sure to get others.

• Like 4

Totally agree with Mara! As you have to working in South Australia for 2 years, spend as much time as you can in Adelaide.

Something to keep in mind as well... visiting a place on holiday is very different to living there.

Hi.

We live in Adelaide. Been here close to two years. If you would like to meet up for a chat, please send me a pm.

Cheers

Thanks Zamunda, that sounds great! Will contact you closer to the time

Thanks Mara and Robbie_P!

So far we have bought the tickets, flying to Adelaide and returning from Sydney. We are still planing on seeing Adelaide for most of the trip and flying to Melbourne instead of driving and flying to Sydney. We have booked self catering accommodation in Adelaide to get the feel and also looking to do that in Sydney. We might skip Melbourne if we need to stay a bit longer in Adelaide. Is there a check list of things to do (admin) on a LSD trip, we gonna get the bank accounts ready, check suburbs and meet with a realtor so far, will also look at Medicare. But is there something else you guys can recommend to get out of the way while you are physically there? I have started looking at jobs and might try to meet with potential employers.

Thanks again

Forget about Medicare, leave that for when you arrive permanently. Checkimg out and meeting with employers is a great idea.

If you do make it to Melbourne, then you are welcome to pay us a visit.

Also would agree with spending more time where you will be living...that being Adelaide for the first 2 years. Aside from the potential employers side of things...try to explain normal life thing...like going to Coles to do a shop. Go look around the local parks, look at the local malls. Try get a feel for what life is like to live there.

However that being said, when we did our LSD, we spent the majority of our time in Melbourne as that is where we intended to stay. We popped into Brisbane for 2 nights (flying in and out) to visit family and hug a Koala :) and then spent 4 days being tourists in Sydney, and then visited family in the Blue mountains. So we mixed it up a bit. And then we ended up in Sydney anyway...the one place we didn't really check out as much. So really...it doesn't matter ultimately where you get a feel for things...if you wanna see a few more places do it. You spend enough on an LSD to make a bit of a holiday of it too.

• 2 months later...

Hi all... I Cannot believe time has gone so quickly! We are flying this saturday and was just wondering if we could take still sealed Rooibos tea for the toddler and sealed baby puree snacks packs or would it be confiscated by border security? The nerves for the 2 hour +12 hour + 2 hour flights are getting rattled a bit though!

Can't see an issue with the baby purée or baby food at all. Just make sure you declare it. They'll take a look and wave you through.

Commercially processed and packaged food is usually fine. What they are looking for is the type of stuff that can bring bugs and disease in.

The rooibos should be ok, but also rest assured that they have rooibos in all supermarkets here. I buy it all the time.

Enjoy your lsd!

• Like 1