Farewell! Leaving for a new adventure

Shell

Hi Everyone

I've been lurking around the forum for years. I'd like to thank all for the valuable information you share.

Here's our story so far.

We were granted our 176 visa in 2012 but only made the move at the end of Jan 2015.

The move went smoothly, we have settled in Mt Barker, Adelaide Hills and everyone we meet have been very friendly and helpful. Great people!

Here's the problem - work - for hubby (mech engineer) it's been impossible to find work in South Australia. So we thought no problem we'll apply out of state. Wrong! We've been told by numerous recruitment agencies that if we don't live in the state we won't be considered for the job. There's just too many unemployed engineers in Australia, the markets flooded!

But all's not lost, hubby was contacted through LinkedIn about a job in the USA. Flew out for the interview, got the job. Just waiting for the visa's and will be leaving the beginning of July.

So we're off on our next adventure. All the best to all who are still going to be making the move we have been made to feel very welcome. But depending on what profession you are in, work could be hard to find!

We have some things to sell. All bought new in Feb - car, fridge, wash machine. Please PM for list.

Fond Farewell

Shell

• Like 4

Shell, so sorry to hear that hubby was unable to find work, I do wish you both the best for your future in the USA... do drop us a note and let us know how you get on!

• Like 1

A friend of mine is an architect. Couldnt find work in Perth for 18 months. Got a job in Singapore and left 3 months ago. The mining boom is certainly over in WA and the rest of Aus and it is having a major knock on effect.

• Like 2

Thanks for the well wishes.

Jordy - So true about WA. Hubby's old boss sent us a email when he was in Perth visiting family. Told us to stay away from Perth - too many out of work engineers!

• Like 1

Dont try Perth...I can only speak for IT. I have a 3 month gig with a minging crowd...The best I coyld get. Go east if you can.

• Like 1

Dont try Perth...I can only speak for IT. I have a 3 month gig with a minging crowd...The best I coyld get. Go east if you can.

That's what we're been doing. Applying in VIC, NSW and QLD. But residing out of state, no one is interested. We were told to mention on cover letter that we would attend interviews at our expense (have you seen the price of air travel!!). Still no takers. There is no need to look at out of state applicants when you have an abundance of locals unemployed.

Must admit LinkedIn has been great for networking.

Websites like seek, indeed, etc - not great!