Moving to Malbourne

Alnik

Hi all

My wife and I am moving to Melbourne and want to take some of our things. In particular we have a wooden chest and camping gear. Will these be need to treated in any way

Edited by Alnik

Alnik, hehe, where is Malbourne? I think you may have meant Melbourne?

Welcome to the forum, hope we can answer most of your questions here.

The wooden chest depends on how it is made. If it is smooth and finished off, like furniture, then it should be okay. If it is of rough wood, untreated, then you may have a problem.

Camping gear, you need to clean it very thoroughly and ensure that there is absolutely no soil or grass or bugs or spiders or anything like that hidden in it.

Wood has to be sealed or treated. 99.99% of store bought furniture is OK. Any raw wood is not. If in doubt, ask your moving company when they come out to do the quote (which will give you time to apply any treatment which may be required).

All camping and fishing gear needs to be free of any soil and plant materials - basically anything you may find in nature. Look into the underside of chairs' legs for instance as soil often squeeze in up there.

• Like 1

Remember that moving companies are not necessarily nearly as clued up as they think they are. We scrubbed everything to within an inch of its life, the moving guys arrived and wheeled the bikes outside onto the soil!!!

The wood must be treated (oiled or sealed) on ALL sides. So if it is raw wood, either oil it (this will take several coats) or varnish it on ALL sides. Then you should be fine.

As Riekie said you need to be very careful with camping gear as they often check this. Also shoes, particularly golf shoes.