Melbourne West suburbs - opinions please!

Carol Wolfaardt

Hi fellow Saffers

We are moving from Canberra to Melbourne in September and are trying to pin point a few suburbs to look at :unsure: . Based on affordability and train travel time to the city, we are zoning in on the West. Mara, I have read many of your posts on Sunbury and we are definitely going to have a good look there. Other suburbs which we would love an opinion on are: Caroline Springs, Hillside, Burnside Heights, Taylors Lakes, Taylors Hill. These are are all pretty close to one another. Are there any Saffers who are living in/have lived in these suburbs? Please could you let me have your feedback. We have a 7 year old daughter, so we need a good primary school (public, catholic and reasonable private schools), and any feedback you could give me on schools would also be appreciated. If you have any advice on other suburbs in the West which we should consider, please let me know. It's heart-wrenching leaving the very close Saffer friends we've made in Canberra :( , but I look forward to meeting y'all when we get down there :) .

Many thanks

Carol

Carol, as it is your first post on the forum, may I say welcome!

Of the suburbs you have mentioned, I would put Sunbury at the top, for schooling. Last time I checked there was roughly 80% of those living in Sunbury whose first language was English. A lot of the schools in the other areas mentioned could only be around 50-60% first language English.

If you send a message to Miran, she is a school teacher in Sunbury with young children, and could advise you on schools. There are two Catholic primary schools and one Catholic High School.

Would be happy to show you around, when you arrive. Rentals are modern, affordable and mostly in plentiful supply.

Jip, you can't go wrong with Sunbury, but I hope somebody can tell you more about the other suburbs you are interested in. The schools here are not zoned, you can live anywhere and send your kid to your school of choice. I'm involved with 2 schools at the moment, Goonewarra and Sunbury Primary, both great! I hope to do some relief teaching at the other primary schools as well and will have more info on them then.

Gisborne is about 15km past Sunbury, picturesque!! I've met some Saffas living there who are really happy! Their youngsters go to Red Rock Christian college.

Hi Mara, thanks for your warm welcome and for your feedback - not something I'd considered and very important. I will contact Miran as you suggest & get her input. I'll definitely contact you when I get down there. We are planning to come down for a week from 11 Jul, so hopefully you will have a gap and we can get together. Tks! Cx

Carol, I have sent you a PM.