What if i don't want to bring everything?

LouiseMark

Hi all

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did look but at about page 14 I gave up.

Hubby and I were talking and looking at all our furniture etc. We are thinking of leaving almost everything behind. All our furniture is old and our only new appliances are the washing machine ( kind of essential with a family of 5) and dishwasher(which is not essential as I do have hands to wash dishes :jester: ).

Obviously we have things of sentimental value like books and the kids have toys and we were thinking of bringing the kids bikes.....

So if we decided not to bring all our furniture then instead of a container are there smaller options?

Thanks!

Edited by LouiseMark

Hi LouiseMark

Possibly, look at the Move Cubes from Seven Seas world wide. If that is still too big, you might want to investigate the unaccompanied freight, or possibly sharing part of a container.

All the luck.

Hi LouiseMark,

We're in the process of making those decisions too :) Flying out in September, so need to organize this soon! We are also only taking sentimental items and lots of books.

I am getting a quote from Execumove here in Cape Town next week for a partial container / groupage.

Other forumites have used them and were very happy overall - the main thing is that overall from packing to unpacking it was a good service.

We're hesitant about the movecube / Seven Seas option - the fact that you have to pack it yourself ( I have no qualms about doing that for a local move, but would rather an experienced packer did it for an inter-continental one! ), and the fact that most people seem to have had a bad experience with them.

If you're on a similar timeline, perhaps we could share some space ........

EmNew when are you thinking of sending your stuff? I know Louise (she is my sister) won't be moving this year but we are planning to be in Aus by January and would probably also only have a small amount to take. PM me?

We did this. Got ride of most of our stuff and then used a part container...it was about half the price of a 20 foot. The downside is that you have to wait for the other half to be filled and shipped to same place. But going from JHB to PERTH it filled up quickly. We didnt have Move Cube when we came over. I would probably use them now if I had to do it over today. We then used the proceeds from sale and savings in container costs to buy nice new stuff here.

Thanks everyone.

Just trying to decide if we should buy new now or just turff it all when we leave which is still not certain yet! LIMBO