HECS Loans

TRob

Hi all

I believe one can only get a HECS loan (government student loan for Uni) if you are an Aussie citizen and not if you are only a permanent resident. We have our permanent residency visas and are planing to come over beginning of next year with our 2 sons who are 19 and 22. Does anyone know if they can get any other sort of loan to pay for Uni fees?

This is the only information that I could find for you, I do hope that you can get some guidance there. If you do not find the right information, perhaps email them, I find Australians, more often than not, to be pretty helpful.

http://www.australia.edu/admissions/financial-aid-guide-for-australian-students.html

I started uni this year and have PR. Unfortunately no HECS for PRs. You are right, HECS only for citizens.

I do not know about student loans unfortunately, so not much help there. Sorry.

A PR used to be able to go to TAFE at least for a small fee. Now you need to go through HECS. The sad thing is these cut backs will keep on coming.

Even the latest intergenerational report high lites that the ratio between retired and working Aussies will increase significantly in the years to come. I.e. there will be way more retired Aussies.

Remember Australia isn't a wealthy nation because we have started businesses that rule the world. We live off migrants, mining, educating foreign students and foreign property investors.

So, I expect in the future there will be more benefits only available to citizens :(

Just been looking at study options and hecs/help myself and unfortunately you will only get that once you are citizens. The only other financial relief that you will get at TAFE is if you have a health care card (you need to have a combined annual income of $50k to qualify for that and be receiving family tax benifits a and b from Centrelink though) which will get you quite a drastically reduced fee.

As permanent residents your sons are eligible to do a certificate 3 at an accredited training organisation if they are referred by an employer or recruitment agent. The costs of the cert 3 are fully covered by the Queensland government but I'm not sure about the rest of the states.

Interestingly when we were paying our son's uni fees I compared them with what we would have been paying in South Africa and they were pretty much on par. Grateful for HECS now that #2 son is at Uni!