Skilled sponsored VISA

TRob

Hi all

I have been granted a skilled sponsored visa by ACT and therefore have to move to and live in Canberra for a minimum of 2 years. We are planning to move over end of the year and I have been trying to find a job in Canberra via agents over the internet without success. In my field jobs seem scarce

Friends in Perth put me in touch with a Perth company and they are interested in offering me a job. I have spoken to my immigration agents and they say that ACT cannot force you live there, the visa is a Permanent Residency Visa for Australia and it does not say on the visa anything about ACT/Canberra

Can anyone shed any light on what will happen if we go to Perth and not Canberra? Also our 5 yr period is nearly up so we would want to apply for a return visa. Any idea if they would withhold this if we are living in Perth perhaps?

Although it's a "gentleman's agreement" that you spend the first two years in ACT it's not mandatory that you do so. BUT and I use upper case because it's a big one.

The more people who apply for 190SS visas from ACT and then choose to move to another state without even spending any time in ACT trying to find work is eventually going to make ACT stop sponsoring applicants for 190 visas.

This is, of course, a personal decision and you will need to make whatever decision you feel is the right one for your family.

Finding work from South Africa, before you arrive, is going to be difficult. There is currently an unemployment surge and recruiters and companies are so inundated with applications that they don't look too far to fill positions.

As far as the RRV goes, I think you have to have been living in Australia for a certain period of time before you can apply for one. ACT can't refuse you the visa because you didn't go and live there. There's also nothing stopping them from asking immigration to revoke visas (although I don't know if that would ever happen in reality)

Best advice would be to go with what your agents say as I don't believe that they would risk their reputation by giving advice that would jeopardise your visa.

Hi TRob,

I thought you had to at the very least go to that state which sponsored you, and if you can show GENUINE attempts at finding work and not getting any, you can apply to be released from your state obligation. But I am with HEOJJ, they sponsored you to come and stay in that state in that role for a period of time. Moving directly to Perth may upset the apple cart. Any agents willing to throw a paragrpah in here and help TRob out?

Hi all

Thanks for the responses. I suppose my questions boils down to what is one obligated to do from legal perpective

None of us are migration lawyers. So, unfortunately we can't give you legal advice. That would be against the law here.

If you need legal advice, then contact a properly licensed lawyer. Yes, its going to be expensive :(

Speaking to a lawyer is for your own protection. You don't want to be kicked out of Aussie one day because of some dodgey advise you got on a forum site.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

TRob,

The easiest and free way is to pick up the phone to Immigration. 131 881.

The advise given here is not "dodgy" it's done in good faith and all of the posts have advised you get advice from an agent or similar. Me, I say pick up the phone and ask Immi. Cost of a phone call. :ilikeit:

To my knowledge, from past posts, is that you have to at least show that you have tried to establish yourself in the sponsoring state, before you ask them to release you.

I am with all the others that you contact immigration department and ask them.

• Like 1

SurferMan is immigration in Sydney so I know what area code to use?

Hey TRob,

Mate it's a direct number from anywhere in Aus, 131 881.

Here you go mate, the link. http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Locations/Pages/Australia.aspx .

Sorry dude,

This for if youre still in Darkest Africa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Locations/Pages/South-Africa.aspx

There is even an CT number for you!