Arrive June in Adelaide please Help!

Lieze

I want to thank ANNETTE, BOB, BRONWYN, MARIUS, SUNSHINE SISTER and RIEKIE for all the help last year on the topic Desember Shutdown, and all the info on our 495 Visa. We did stay and visit all the family over Desember. Well we had to stay even longer, because the Visa only arrived end April , Yes we've got it :):D finally. We even had time to visit my aunt in Namibia to say our goodbuys, and she ows me one down under now.

We were even considering going to Adelaide end of the Year because the waiting stress were getting to us. We sold the house over X-MASS and had to move into a rental house in Middelburg. We wanted the kids to join school beginning of the year, but they will have to settle for after the July school holidays now. The kids would get their first long expected puppy in Adelaide so they are looking forward even if its in the middle of the year (my daughter said she wants a big dog now to catch up with lost time).

My husband would be flying and arriving in Adelaide on the 21st of May. He would rather make use of the rail and bus transport in and about Adelaide and car rental as little as posibble. Is this a good idea? We found the brighton caravanpark on the internet. Will it be close enough to the city? Schalk would be staying for about 2 weeks to try and secure a rental home, schools and a job in this time. Schalk would be looking for work as a civil engineer technologist.

If any of you could help out with any as usual wise advise, or just storage space for a blow up ....Matress and normal travelling gear, as my husbund would rather want to bring additional 37kg on our final bon voyage trip.

You are welcome to mail me as well

Have a good.......

Hi Lieze,

Yes the caravan park is not to far from town, Schalk may have to get either 2 busses or a bus and a train to get into town. Schalk is more than welcome to contact me if he want. Do Schalk have a work lines up? Good luck and all the best. - Karl

I've just looked at my calendar and it is Schalk's lucky day!

I'm free that Monday (21st), so if he'd like to be picked up at the airport, get Schalk to PM me.

Also, make sure that Schalk takes his mobile phone with him from South Africa. They work in Australia, too. It will help no end if he has a contact number for prospective employers and estate agents to call him on.

There are about half a dozen caravan park within easy commuting distance of the city centre of Adelaide, and Schalk may like to discuss these options with me too.

Thanks Bob and Karl

I will PM you both in the African morning GMT

Bob are you not going to be at the track?

I hope Adelaide is not shut for the day.

Oh well, lucky me to have you free then, thanks.

Hi Lieze

I'm just at few minutes away from Brighton Caravan Park and often down there walking our dog - so just let me know if you need storage for anything, I can pick it up.

Wish your hubby could fit my sister in law and her 2 children in his case - she is in Middleburg.

Anytime hubby wants to chat or meet for a coffee while here please just get him to pm me.

Jeanette

Lieze,

If Schalk wants to be closer to the city I possibly suggest he gets into Adelaide caravan park.It is in Hackney which is closer than Brighton to the city. I know other Saffers that stayd there a few days when they arrived and found it OK and the rated are reasonable.

Details:

Adelaide Caravan Park

Phone: (08) 8363 1566

Fax: (08) 8362 1989

Address: Richmond St

Hackney

South Australia 5069

http://www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au/acp-location.html

Rates are:

Double Daily Rate Extra ExtraAdult/Child

*Villa with spa** $127-$142

*Executive unit** $119-$134 $14/$10

*Holiday unit** $108-$123 $14/$10

*Self contained cabin** $95-$$108 $14/$10

Standard Cabin $82-$95 $11/$7

Powered site $29-$32 $7/$5

You might get a better rate if you book for several days

Let us know how he goes. Please let him contact me any time for futher info or help.

As daar enige iets is wat ek kan doen, se net die woord!

Groete en welkom in Adelaide!

Fred

Dankie Fred

Ek sal jou kontak sodra ek in Adelaide is. Ek kry al soveel hulp, ek voel al hulpeloos. (as jy verstaan, hoef niks te doen nie). Sal graag wil ontmoet. Kan ongelukkig nie aanbied om iets saam te bring nie aangesien my tas al klaar vol biltong is.

Groetnis.

Hi Lieze,

Another excellent option for Schalk would be the Glenelg Beach Hostel: Glenelg Beach Hostel web page (www.glenelgbeachhostel.com.au)

Marius stayed there on his LSD and we would highly recommend it. It is virtually on the tram line which goes straight into Victoria Square in the city. From there he can take a free bus to almost anywhere in the city. It would be possible to use the public transport, but he'll have to plan very carefully. It's much more convenient with a car rental. To be honest, to visit the schools and open houses etc. would be extremely difficult on public transport within such a short time in my opinion. Properties are only open for inspection on one or two days a week and you will have to visit a lot of properties in a very short time, some of which will be very far apart. I honestly can't see how this will be possible on public transport only.

Two weeks is a very very short time to try and get a school, job and house. I think this is a bit unrealistic, but not saying it's completely impossible ... waar daar 'n wil is is daar 'n weg! :ilikeit: I would allow at least 6 weeks up to 3 months if you do not want to set yourselves up for disappointment ... :angry: I'm happy to provide storage and transport where possible, and of course a braai would be obligatory :ilikeit:

Sterkte ou girl. Los maar die biltong by die huis, dis verbode om dit in die land in te bring ... :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lieze

We will be away in Sydney from 19 to 21 May, but will be back in Adelaide on 22 May so am available if Schalk requires any sort of assistance while in Adelaide.

Mario Bellini and his family arrived on Adelaide in November 2006 from Gaberone,Botswana. Ex FInancial Director of AON Botswana-do you perhaps know them?????? I know that this could be a stupid question,but who knows-sometimes the world is smaller than we think.

My wife and I run a recruitment company based in North Adelaide and will try and help if we can. Go to www.over40recruitment.com.au ,go to Jobseekers Registration and send us Schalk's CV and a note of what he is ideally lookig for.

I would also suggest that you go onto the Real Estate websites and get a feel for the prices and type of houses for sale in the various suburbs around Adelaide. You are either going to be a hell of a lot more confused after that or it may help prepare Schalk for his house hunting exploits while in Adelaide.

Best of luck with the LSD visit.

regards

Manny

Thanks Manny .

Will send you my CV.

I want to thank you all for your support and cant help but feel a sence of paying it forward.

Well here goes.

May the adventure be worth its promisse and may you all be blessed with the help offered.

See you guys soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back after a two week trip to Adelaide. It was an both an adventure and a tester. It rained for the duration in my caravan but was cumfy with the help of Bob (Thanks mate). I managed to get all done set out to achieve but would not have been able to manage without the help of Jaenette, Karl and Bob. I want to thank you all whom welcomed me into their homes and are to many to mention here.

I will share what I found helped me on a future post as soon as the furniture is loaded. I booked our flights with IOM and was nearly 55% cheaper.

Till next week.

Thanks to the established Adelaidians

Schalk

:blush:

I will share what I found helped me on a future post as soon as the furniture is loaded.

Schalk

:blush:

Ek sien uit na jou report!

Edited by Pixi