hello!

Odendaal

Hi everyone

Hubby and I are looking at immigrating to Australia (obviously that's why I'm here haha)

I'll be doing more research over the weekend on which visas to consider but we are looking at the 189. We have done our IELTS (overall 8.5) and we are both engineers (mechanical and welding respectively) with no more than 2 years experience each

Also, my brother is a citizen and lives in Perth. Does anyone know if this will help us?

Anyway, just saying hi! And if anyone has advice please throw it this way!

M

• Like 1

Welcome!

Be careful about work experience requirements. It catches some people out

Go and dig around on www.immi.gov.au

There are different codes for each skill. Once you have you code, then see who the assessing body is. The assessing bosy decides if you have that skill or not. In your case your assessing body might be engineers Australia:

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

Just read up on the fine print. Like which degrees they accept, how much work experience you need, etc..

As for your family.. I could have gotten a few extra points on the points test if I had close family here. But I didn't need them to qualify. But then I applied a few years back and the system has changed quite a bit since then.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 2

Regarding family.

Not that we needed the points as our Visas were granted on 60 points (both CA's and assessed by ICAA), but my brother is an Aussie citizen and we did not get any additional points towards our skills assessment because of this.

In my opinion, i wouldn't bank on getting any additional points for relatives being citizens.

Unless the Engineering assessor has a different view of course, which I am unaware of... :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, looks like we'll be getting 65 points (my hubby and I).

Can you give me an indication of whether that is on the low side or will we be invited quite quickly? Sorry I ask this but not many people give away their points so it's hard to gauge.

Hi, I had 65 points and got an invite in first round after submitting EOI. I don't know how the occupation quota levels affect the invite timeline though. When I applied the invite rounds were every 2 weeks.

• Like 2

EmNew I agree with you 100%. There are so many factors, its hard to tell.

It's one of the many unfortunate times when you need to hurry up and wait :(

Welcome to the forum. I've been away for a while with personal issues, but this is a great place to get answers or just have people share your journey :)

• Like 1

Welcome in, I've found this place to be a wonderful resource!

We applied near the end of last year based on my qualification, Electronics engineering, we had 65 points, including zero experience. We got the invite two days after submitting our EOI. It depends how far into the new year they have gone, whether they have lots of places for your occupation or not. I think we were lucky. If you are both on the list don't forget to claim 5 points for your partner. We could not, because my husband's qualifications don't fit neatly into their boxes, so we just ignored it.

All the best! Just go for it!

Our points came from: Age(30pt), Degree(15pt), IELTS(20pt)=65pt. So don't worry about experience.

Hey redpanda :) thanks for the support :)

Yea luckily both our occupations are on the list, assuming that a metallurgical engineer is the same as a materials engineer? We'll have to see what the assessment says.

Will keep you guys posted!

Thank you for the hospitality!

• Like 1

Just a quick note on claiming the 5 point for partner experience...

If you want to claim those points I understand that your partner's skills will have to be assessed by their respective assessment body as well and they would need to get a positive assessment (I can't see if you applied for just one assessment or for both). Their skills would have to be on the same list as the main applicant's as well (I assume yours are).

Good luck with the assessment and the rest of the process.

• Like 1

Hi :) yes, I've paid EA to assess our degrees respectively and I'm sure it'll be a positive outcome as we studied under the Washington accord (university of Pretoria).

And we both did IELTS...am I missing anything else to claim 5 points?

Not as far as I remember...

That should be good. If you read the booklet and you meet the criteria, you're fine.

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 1