NickiD

Hi all

Our moving date looms ever nearer (early September) and while we're selling up the majority of our furniture and household items, there are a couple of things that are close to our hearts and we'd love to get your tried and tested recommendations on which movers are the most efficient and reliable.

One of the items we want to bring with us from SA is a Nguni cattle rug and some wooden picture frames. We understand that there are super strict regulations in terms of these kinds of items being treated before coming into Australia. Can anyone provide guidance based on their experience with this recently?

And then finally - our big, kingsize bed: do we bring it with? We've heard that beds are super expensive there and we love our big bed.

Thanks in advance!

Nicki

We used Execumove in December. Had a lot of sleeperwood furniture, including our king size bed. We had to make sure it was varnished and execumove fumigated our whole container before shipping because we had so much wood stuff. No problems at all in Melbourne during inspection and clearance. Unfortunately I don't know anything about skins, but as long as it's properly treated and fumigated I can't imagine it being rejected. Just wait for more replies from people who actually brought skins.

Hi Nicki

We used Cargo Pak, they have been around for years, a family run business who do an amazing job at giving you peace of mind and easing the stress on those last couple days.

I brought 5 hides, they had been treated with certificates. As long as your wooden furniture is treated and everything else is cleaned properly you won't have a problem.

Good luck

X

We brought 2 wooden drums with cow hide and had a choice of treating them for $800 or destroying them for $80 - had them destroyed.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also using Execu Move - they are loading our belongings next week. As long as the wood goods is treated and sealed no worries. I'm also taking a couple of hides and ottomans made with game hides. If you supply tanning certificates and proof that they were treated, you are sorted. Just don't hide anything.... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day,

Please can you advise me if it is cheaper to ship most of your furniture from SA or is it better to replace everything in OZ?

Not sure what is the best option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Manie

We're selling 95% of our stuff, Manie. The reality is that most of our large furniture won't even fit into a Sydney terrace/semi.

Good Day,

Please can you advise me if it is cheaper to ship most of your furniture from SA or is it better to replace everything in OZ?

Not sure what is the best option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Manie

Manie, it really depends on the quality and condition of your furniture and I guess where you plan on settling as well as your and your families needs and sentimental value of things. We shipped our furniture and I am pretty sure we could never replace what we brought (ie the quality of the furniture) for what our container cost us to ship. However, if you have not such great stuff you can buy cheap not so great stuff here. You can also shop garage sales and thrift shops and replace everything with worn inexpensive second hand stuff which could be what you may leave behind. We made the mistake of leaving our second lounge suite behind because of hearing on the forum how small houses were, well we have a house with 3 lounge rooms (as they call them here) and had to buy more furniture to replace what we left behind. Also, if it doesn't fit you can sell here for dollars at your own garage sale :ilikeit: I have had a ball replacing things by buying from thrift shops or garage sales and doing things up but that is something I have discovered I really enjoy. For $50 I bought a cruddy display cabinet and gave it a makeover one weekend instead of doing the housework - and I love the result. :blush-anim-cl: But maybe you wouldn't think $500 is such a good deal if you are spending your Rands, which you will be if you replace everything you need when you arrive. So it really depends, each person will have their own opinion on this. I am glad we brought what we did and especially having a youngish child I believe having HIS things helped him settle after being uprooted and planted on the other end of the world he at least had some familiarity. And to answer the original question, we used CargoPak - admittedly years ago now - and they were FANTASTIC!!

post-11368-0-43910500-1436078485_thumb.j

post-11368-0-00812400-1436078538_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Please can i have some advise. Has anyone used Biddulphs recently. We trying to decide between Execumove and Biddulphs. We moving to Melbourne at the end of August and need to confirm a removal company soon.

Biddulphs is around R4k cheaper than Execumove!

My friend had 2 quotes but wanted to use the more expensive one due to better service. So she told the more expensive one her dilemma, they then dropped their quote by 5k.

We used Biddulphs in our move from Johannesburg to Durban 3.5 years ago. Needless to say their service was not great. Our stuff went into storage at their facility for 2 months and if we wanted anything we had to pay R900 to go in and get it, so no riding bicycle for 2 months for us. Finally moved into our house and this is where things got a little out of hand. Firstly they rammed our front gate nice and mangle and they were not willing to pay anything to repair it, first bad move. Then when carrying out the couch they pulled one of the heavy wooden feet off the bottom. Next they unpacked the gas braai, apparently you can load a coricraft couch ontop of it, well lets just say that the lid is now inverted. One box of books completely soaked through and destroyed the books. All of this and all they were willing to pay us out was R300, bless them they can keep it. However lets just say that we will never use them again even though they always come out the cheapest, now you no why, their staff just do not care about your possessions.