Cole

My husband and I are trying to figure out what to sell and what to take, and next on our list are the gas appliances:

we have a Cadac gas braai, a gas heater; and (my husband's pride and joy) a Smeg gas/electric stove. I know we're not allowed to take gas bottles over, but can we take these items and use them there? Do you need any special fittings or certificates or anything?

There are apparently convertors for the cadac gas braai. Saw some at the South African shop not so long ago. As for the heater and stove you can bring them but will need to have the regulators replaced this side by a qualified gas technician as the South African ones don't fit the bottles.

P.S. We brought a gas heater with and didn't need a certificate but still haven't needed to use it.

• Like 1

Your gas stove, if it works with LPG, then you will have to have some sort of conversion done as the houses in Australia used piped gas, which I am told is different to LPG. Just remember that all homes come with a cooktop and oven, so if you are bringing yours, you will have to wait until you own a property, before you can use it.

• Like 1

Mara is correct. In Australia, the gas connected to your home is natural gas while most outdoor BBQs will be for LPG (Propane) gas. That said, if you buy a BBQ in Australia, you can get some of them for natural gas so that it could be hooked up to your home gas system. (Many homes have the connections already on the outside of the house in the alfresco area. You can't simply connect the one to the other.

Here is some more info:

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/350-propane-lpg-whats-what

• Like 1

You can purchase a cadac female to bullnose male connector at Chamberlain. Use this to operate your Cadac appliances on the Aus gas cylinder. Not expensive at all.

We also bought a bullnose female to Cadac male connector as we brought our Cadac cylinders with. This connector is also used to fill up our Cadac cylinders. Just make sure that your gas cylinders are completely emptied before shipment.

Dont bring old cadac cylinders because you might have problems refilling them.

Edited by Jacovl
  • Like 1