IELTS and Pearson PTE : Feel like giving up!

HappyIsland

Finished my PTE in 2 hours, if you're English, it's really quite quick and easy once you understand the format.

No need to pay for tests, you can do the free practice ones. It's really easy to score superior english and in my opinion more fair and less demeaning than the IELTS.

Agreed with ORC. just don't pay any attention to the people next to you; it is really not that diificult. As I said in a previous post, the fact that I got 90's all across have increased my overall points for skills assessment by 5. It is well worth it.

Wow! That is interesting to know. I have to score all 8s in ielts to get 20 points. What would I need to score on pte test that is equivalent to this?

WernerS what did you score on ielts when you did it? Just want to compare how you scored on ielts compared to pte. I am in Durban so would need to go to Jhb to do the test. It might be worth it.

I am going for my first IELTS test at the start of August. I am hoping it will be the only one I have to do. I need to score and all round 7.5 average for my skills assessment. People who I have spoken to who are 2nd language English speakers have made it the first time round. I have not ordered the study pack, instead I plan on working through the online material. You guys have me a little nervous now.

Olivia, 8.5; 8; 9 & 8...this was a couple of years ago. In the meantime I got older and thus LOST points, so I had to score 8 plus on the IELTS academic as opposed to the IELTS general I did a few years back.

the issue I had with IELTS was that there were only 2 further academic test for this year in the Cape and I didn't want to take chances.

So I scored 90 on all 4 bands for PTE which gave me superior English and thus I scored more.

My advice; go for PTE. If you stuff it up, you can try again in a couple of days where with the IELTS you wait months. And time is very valuable...

Hi eyeice

Not sure why you need to score a 7.5 across all bands, to my knowledge a 7.5 is equivalent to a 7. 7's will get you 10 points and 8's will get you 20 points. Don't over stress it over the IELTS. It's really not that bad, especially if you're only aiming for 7's.

As far as the Pearson goes, I'm glad people are doing well in this test. I personally hated the test and the test conditions. It's easy to tell people to ignore the people chatting away next to you, but it's an entirely different thing to practice it. I couldn't do it. It was a massive distraction to me. If you did well in the Pearson where others failed that's fantastic, but others have done well in the IELTS where you failed. My point is, only you know what kind of conditions you can function in. We all different from different backgrounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I finally managed to pass with 8.5 in each section and an overall score of 8.5

Edited by HappyIsland
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You must practise the areas you are having trouble with. The more listening practise tests you do, the better. You can do it but being familiar with format will make the world of difference.