Late September / early October arrival?

EmNew

Hi all,

We're currently looking at a timeline to head over to Melbourne.

We're thinking of arriving late Sept/early October, even though our activation date is late Feb 2016, as that fits in nicely with the plans of the family that has made an offer on our house. We want to avoid short term rentals this side......

I understand that Australia pretty much shuts down for December until after Australia Day late January 2016

Do you think that we will most likely have to wait until February 2016 anyway for job prospects / interviews in the IT and Accounting industries ?

Thanks

We also going 1 October 2015, but to Sydney...

Interested to see what the forumites have to say,

I don't think that's a bad time to arrive. Of course there is a risk that if you don't find a position by Christmas then you'll be stuck until February, but it depends on whether you're prepared to take that chance.

Job-wise I think the only time not to come over is December/January.

I came over in December - wasn't really expecting to find work until Feb, and like clockwork, I started work on 5 Feb.

The rest of the year is fair game!

I agree with Hansa, December and January is out for job hunting, but otherwise you never know when a job will fall in your lap!

My husband is interviewing at the moment in IT (good track record, 6,5 years Sydney experience). He has loads of companies interested, BUT they each interview him ONCE a week for multiple weeks. He is now on 4th/ 5th interviews with a few. Even they admit that they string it out so long that candidates get other offers and they loose potential right fits. The one place gave him a hypothetical project to do over a week, the other had him in the whole day Fri for a day of video converence interviews with people all over the globe. Then one of the international interviewers did not pitch for the facetime, so he had to go in yesterday to do that bit. Now they will compare notes and see from there. We are all so over it. And nobody has even talked money, that happens at no. 99. Cant help but think about newbies entering the market and how they would fare.

That's ridiculous Rozellem!

Thanks for the feedback :)

@ Rozellem - your story is quite frightening! Is this what my hubby can expect as a senior analyst developer, or is that interview procedure for a different facet of the IT industry?

Hi EmNew - I wouldn't say that's standard, it varies by company, but if I look at the recruitment process of our analyst developers - it's a pretty straight forward process - initial causal phone interview with HR, then a first and second interview with the hiring managers, one of which will include a test of sorts.

It took ages for our last two to be hired, but only because the candidates out there were terrible!

(I've said this a lot on the forum - don't be daunted when you hear that there are 100s of applicants for the same role - we had 1 decent resume per every 100 applicants or so)

• Like 1

Australia is having an identity crisis at the moment. The mining boom is over and the economy has been slow to react.

You just have to look at how interest rates are at near record lows. Even that isn't increasing business confidence levels or spending.

Unfortunately in times like these, companies stop spending on new equipment, new IT systems, etc..

The Aussie government knows things will turn around. Just google barangaroo. That is a massive new development in the Sydney CBD. There are 12 new skyscrapers being built in the CBD. There is also the Sydney Rapid Transit project.

Like I said, the Commonwealth knows things will get better. Unfortunately, they look at longer term trends when they decide on how many visas to give out.

Edited by monsta

I'm in HR in SA....Trust me when I say, we get 100's of CV's for the same position here too. But somehow, of those 100 you made it here. You will make it there, its all a matter of time and endurance. (same as you would have done here for the "perfect" job) :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Thanks for encouragement Kimmykins, and for the feedback on developers, HansaPlease

• Like 1

I can only speak of what I see from the side lines. On the positive, the companies he is speaking to are putting in new IT systems and developement is a hot topic. Fingers crossed X

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad I read this, because we were planning on going over about November, to be in time for "hiring of next year's new employees". So I gather just about any time other than right before Dec-Jan is better? Good to know.