English test - which one?

Loesje

Hi everyone,

Thank you for an informative site. We have started the process for PR through an agent and are only in the beginning stages of the application. I have started applying for unabridged birth certificates again (as the ones I requested was printed without our parents ID numbers and was advised to request vault copies).

My husband needs to do the IELTS test but at the Australian work expo came across ih Language Lab that claims their CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced) language proficiency certificate is valid for life and does not expire after two years. Has anyone made use of them or is the IELTS test the better option?

Hi Loesje. Is the expired still taking place. With regards to your question, I have no idea about the Cambridge English. I did the IELTS test (academic) which I believe is more difficult than IELTS ( general). When I visited Melbourne I did the PTE (Pearson test of English). I liked it more than IELTS as you answer everything online and you finish within a day. In my opinion IELTS seems to be a popular test than the other ones but a lot of people don't achieve the scores required by most institutions. I've met people who've done it at least 3 times and I don't understand why as there are plenty of English tests one can do. PTE was the best test for me.

Sorry I meant the expo instead of expired

Hi monthdark,

Thank you for the reply. I have not heard of the PTE test - will definitely have a look.

• 3 weeks later...

P T E all the way ...got a test date one week away and got results a day after the test

Hi Mitchell,

It looks like you enjoyed the PTE test. Well done, I also loved it!!!

Hi monthdark,

Thank you for the reply. I have not heard of the PTE test - will definitely have a look.

Hi Loesje,

Did you do your PTE test already?

Hi Monthdark,

I was more than impressed. Went to the Joburg one and they were good.

If you can't help waiting for ages like me then P T E is the way to go.

Their turnaround times are particularly handy in cases where the assessment authority requires your English results as well and you can't send out the skills assessment while waiting for the test.

• Like 1

yes they are very quick with the results: compared to the IELTS. I am looking for a scholarship and I'm still struggling otherwise I have offers to go and study, money is always a problem...