Good suburbs north of Perth?

SML

hi all!

So, I need some help please! We are hopefully moving in July. I'll be working in Clarkson. From what I've heard, not a great suburb to live in. We have 5 year old twin boys so schools are very NB!

Any suggestions? Mindarie/Mullaloo/others??

So hard deciding from here!

Thanks for your help!!

Hillary's, Padbury, Duncraig, Sorrento.

Not sure what kind of schooling you have in mind. I know people who send their kids to Padbury Catholic School, which I hear is one of the top schools in Perth. I don't have kids, so can't comment too much. I think there are actually 2 primary schools in Padbury and another in the Sorrento area.

Loads of beautiful parks in the north. The kids will go mad when they see the play grounds ..... They honestly look like so much fun that I wish I could jump on a jungle gym :)

It's weird, before coming over in Dec, I would look at Real Estate and look at the map and the rentals, and have no real idea of where to look. While in SA we looked at Hillarys quite a bit (we have family in this area) and we found such a nice rental here. 10 min walk to the beach. 1 min walk to a beautiful park.

And 2 of my neighbours are from SA!!

Clarkson itself is pretty crap, but there is a new portion called Somerly that is quite nice - we have a house there.

Mindarie is great (but expensive), Merriwa, Ridgewood are also OK.

Get your kids into the private schools - the state schools IN Clarkson are not well thought of.

My kids finished school at Mindarie Senior College, which was a state school and was, quite frankly, brilliant.

The private schools are an Anglican school and a Baptist one - both K-12.

Hope this helps.

Look up the entry in Wikipedia as well as the surrounding suburbs.

In the older residential part of Clarkson, you can often see drunks staggering down the street at 10 in the morning, as well as lots of houses with tons of messed-up cars in the front yard ... you know, all the bits that spell "don't give a damn".

Thanks so much! What's the traffic like?? If I live in Hilary's, will it be too far to go to Clarkson for work?

Hi SML,

I am a far north Perth, and can give you a good perspective. Don't worry about OBD, he is jealous of not being able to stagger around r@t assed @ 10am! :boxing::jester::ilikeit:

Hilarys, nice but look about for a good deal. Clarkson is around the bend from all the ones I list for you. Merriwa is dodgy these days. Ridgewood is okay but choose wisely, you may end up with no so cool neighbours. Kinross is nice, we lived there for almost 2 years. Mullaloo is nice but startting to get a bit of a drive. Quinns Rocks is nice, but look at "old Quinns" not the new area. You could go further north like I did, all the way to Yanchep. rent is reasonable here and the drive is not bad at all. Say about 20-30 min to Clarkson in traffic, less off peak.

Our kids used to go to Quinns Baptist, which is an excellent school. I would avoid Clarkson and Butler, I have personally helped more than 5 couples move out of there for various reasons. Can you give me a bit more on what you like house wise, and I can anrrow it down a bit for you. There are a number of new suburbs being built north of Perth, so you are spolit for choice.

Have a look at this link.

https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/sbsonline.ido691he.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1Ijoic2Jzb25saW5lIiwiYSI6IklRMkRCVVEifQ.ldQz-kg5lTylBG6J4HoXbg#11/-31.8889/115.8858

Probably will get slaughtered for these comments - how to select between unfamiliar areas where its better to stay in.

There is often a direct relationship between the value of properties and being a "nice"area. Thus affordability comes to play which often influence behavioral profiling. A quick check for own affordability - to purchase take 35% of income and to rent take 21% of income. That should be a good indicator. If you have a double income household obviously everything is just easy:-)

Method: Check demographics: Stay away from high % rental areas even if you are an intended renter yourself & highly populous areas

http://www.yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au/top-suburbs/wa/

http://reiwa.com.au/the-wa-market/suburb-profiles-search/

Multiply weekly income to get annual income and compare the different areas. Now select the higher income areas, higher % ownership, smaller population, your age group. Search for affordable rentals/units as those gems are out there. Sounds contradicting but it is true (just too long to explain)!

I can recommend Kingsley, Greenwood and Woodvale, also north of the river and with very good schools around. St Stevens, is one with a pretty long waiting list of you are looking private, I can also recommend the Kingsley Montessori school, has a great reputation as well.

These areas are about 5km from the Coast (we're just off a main street called Hepburn, which has a train station for Greenwood in very close proximity.

What Surferman said, except for the gratuitous dig at me. We all know SM goes into the dunes when he wants to "self-medicate" ....

Traffic from Hilarys (sp) to Clarkson should be fine - you're going contrary to the normal flow. Beware of windgatte in Amaroks coming from the North when you're heading north, they could be Surfeman.

I stand by Somerley being nice, and old Clarkson being dodgy. Wife and I looked at houses in Kinross, but didn't like it much - some areas looked good, others not so good. Daughter wanted to stay there, but we were not to be moved. About 3 years later I was driving her to her dancing lessons and she thanked me for not moving into Kinross, because, as she put it "I would have turned into a skank".

Somerley is close to the train / bus station, which is nice for commuting (obviously not too close).

What you are going to have to do, is go and check out these suburbs and see availability of housing, visit schools, check transport and all those things that made getting a visa only the first giant leap.

• Like 1

Self-medicate...LOLOL

Ya, I will be passing all the Semi-Nude blokes in their Toy-otas, man does that ever rhyme, smooth off the tongue. Agree with OBD, some Kinross areas were dodgy, like the "skank" remark! You will need to cruise the 'burbs a little, what myself and OBD say are subjective remarks, and you may end up agreeing or not, or land a pearl or a poophole.

The best way to is to eyeball them each on your own! :jester: And make a note of semi-nude gods and dodgy Veedub drivers!!! :jester:

• Like 1

? Very amusing!! We will check it all out soon! Thanks!

Self-medicate...LOLOL

Ya, I will be passing all the Semi-Nude blokes in their Toy-otas, man does that ever rhyme, smooth off the tongue. Agree with OBD, some Kinross areas were dodgy, like the "skank" remark! You will need to cruise the 'burbs a little, what myself and OBD say are subjective remarks, and you may end up agreeing or not, or land a pearl or a poophole.

The best way to is to eyeball them each on your own! :jester: And make a note of semi-nude gods and dodgy Veedub drivers!!! :jester:

The "skank" thing was my daughter's remark about NOT being in Kinross ...

I did see some really nice areas in Kinross unfortunately, they weren't in our price range.

Edited by OubaasDik

We picked up a 4x2 in Kinross (Glomach Circuit) for 400/week. Not bad. But do pick your location, some of Kinross is in a bowl and the heat in summer will drive you mad. As in late 20's to early 30's at 2am!!

I know skanks OBD, I make snide remarks whenever I drive past the teen girls wearing basically nothing, to my wife. But in a nice way of course, SM style. :jester::whome:

We picked up a 4x2 in Kinross (Glomach Circuit) for 400/week. Not bad. But do pick your location, some of Kinross is in a bowl and the heat in summer will drive you mad. As in late 20's to early 30's at 2am!!

I know skanks OBD, I make snide remarks whenever I drive past the teen girls wearing basically nothing, to my wife. But in a nice way of course, SM style. :jester::whome:

And I'm sure it's all subtle like "Kyk daai hoer!"

Anyway, I think SML gets the general idea by now.

• Like 1

ROFL,

More like "Meeoowwww!" Good luck hunting SML! Just watch out for OBD in his 3 Litre Ford, arm out of the window n all!