Electronic Engineering Jobs in Melbourne

harry85

I plan to move to Melbourne end of June this year. I have a recognised Electronics Eng Degree with little experience thereafter. Does anyone have any guidelines on how to go about getting a job in Melbourne?

Are there any certifications or courses I can do that would up my profile to having critical skills?

I have experience in academia. Would that be a better area to apply in but how easy is it to get into lecturing there?

Has anyone also had any experience with career consultants? Anyone you could recommend?

Any advice?

Edited by harry85

No advice just a few pointers.

Spend time on the Engineers Australia (EA) website.

There you will find information about the Graduate Engineering programs and their sponsors. (You may need to be a member to access some of the info). Contact and speak to those sponsors.

Recently there was an EA Graduate program. While its past, look at the program details and see if you can find email contacts/sponsors and speak to those people.

When looking at Seek.com you will note where most of the jobs are currently based (NSW), however South Australia is known as the electronics development hub. Things are just tough in SA due to the lack of projects & funding. Guess many wait for the submarine program.

Kinetic is the most active recruitment agent in the eng field. Contact them and ask similar questions.

Contact all the eng associations for a specific discipline in NSW. Get the contacts from their websites and speak to people.

Identify the major players in your discipline in NSW, then go on Linkedin and search for people within those companies. Contact them directly.

Join groups on Linkedin and ask similar questions and pointers.

• Like 1

Yep, linked in is a fantastic on-line CV. You just need to make certain things clear, e.g. that you have a PR. Also, having some good connections helps. Recruiters find you by looking through other people's contact lists.