Migration is not for sissies - very good article

bienkie

@ Rhyss

Totally agree with you and the sad things for most of us is that there will never be a "right time" to make this move when you have family left in SA.

I will never forget the time a man in Perth asked me why we decided to leave SA. This was barely a week after we landed. First thought he was nuts, as he himself was from SA, but as far as he was concerned he never should have left. This was after 25 years in Oz and immediately got me thinking whether I did the right thing or not :whome:.

A wise old man once told me, we do everything for our kids. Move countries, best schools and unies only for them to eventually follow their own path and in most cases end up living abroad. We should be looking at what is important to you and your partner, as that is the person you will be spending your life with once the kids grow old and move on.

Nice one Eto,

We are already planning out our "golden years" LOL. We have started the design on our beach shack and all the ecletic designs that will make it a home.

• Like 1

Don't think we will see much of the "golden Years", as we left it way too late to move across again and might end up working till I am in my late 70`s.. :blush:

I am so sorry to hear that Eto. I hope it all pans out for you matey. You are one of those reslient, tough buggers in SA that I often refer to. Stay strong bro.

Don't think we will see much of the "golden Years", as we left it way too late to move across again and might end up working till I am in my late 70`s.. :blush:

don't worry Eto, if the Aus government has its own way we'll all be working until we're well into our 80's! Then if you've been smart, worked hard and invested your earnings over the year you will be penalised come pension age and you'll not see a cent from the government pension!

If you need to rely on social benefits then Australian is a wonderful country but if you're a go-getter and you're successful, they know how to empty your pockets! :angry:

Other than the few weeks a year that we get to spend in SA my kids do not know what it's like to have a grand parent. I feel sorry for those families who cannot afford to spend time with family and get angry with people who condemn those who visit SA. We've missed out on milestone family celebrations, nieces, nephews and the real life stuff that makes life warm and fuzzy. We did it for our kids but we NEVER estimated the cost to our own lives.

We`ve only been here close on a year and I can see what you are talking about.

I think some people are able to move without emotional ties to SA, the entire process will play out differently for them compared to people that leave loved ones behind.

• Like 1