Suggestions for 1 nights accommodation Sydney

KirstyS

Hi. Anyone have suggestions for accommodation for just one night near Sydney airport? We arrive at 3:30 and leave the next day at 1pm. I know there are airport hotels but the cost is huge as we are 5 of us and 2 of our kids are classified as adults. All suggestions welcome! TIA

Have a look here:

http://www.wotif.com/landing?regionId=6049865&semcid=wotif-au.ub.google.search.hotel&kword=e.accommodation%20near%20sydney%20airport.3330&gclid=CJD9uM3AjsUCFVEGvAodzIgAKA&ef_id=U9sYTAAAAMV-r10L:20150424081815:s

Sydney hotels are quite pricey - even for us Aussies earning Aussie $$. You'll struggle to find "cheap" accommodation unless you're willing to stay in a packpacker hostel.

Thanks. I have done searches and realised it is pretty darned expensive. I am looking at backpackers as all we need is a bed but am also not sure of how far out to go as I am still trying to figure out costs of getting there as well ?. A little overwhelmed hence asking for advice.

Check if any forumites live near the airport who are willing to give you a pillow for the night...

Alternatively look at the outer suburbs but a taxi there and back would cost you about $125 each way (at least that's what they charge to the Hills). There are a number of airport shuttles to the suburbs but you need to book them online before the time and they're about $55 to $75 pp one way. So if you weigh that up against the cost of a hotel, then maybe it's not worth it.

Where are you heading and why the long layover in Sydney? If you don't intend on visiting Sydney, why not take a flight with a shorter layover? Or a direct flight to your destination? The extra cost for the ticket may be less than accommodation.

long story ? I have never travelled before and I screwed up on dates so we are now in this situation. Thank you for your suggestions!

Aaah :) and you can't change it?

You could always just hang out in the airport. It sucks but it does not cost you a thing... Or you could pay to get into one of the lounges where you'll have TV, internet, food and a comfy couch, showers and toilets. We did that at Dubai airport coming back from Italy (11 hours at the airport) - doable but not the most comfortable option.

What dates are you looking at, just maybe someone can assist if they have a date.

Thanks everyone. My hubby found a cheapest motel of sorts that has a family room. So we are sorted ?

Just remember the airport is in Mascot. Its an industrial area.

Catching a bus into the CBD will only take +- 30 mins. But you will need to buy a prepaid "opal" card. You can top it up at lots of corner shops. But you will probably leave Sydney with $5 - $10 on the card (i.e. you will top it up too much to avoid being stranded without enough money on the card). You just hold the card in front of the reader when you get on the bus and the same when you get off. If you forget to do it when you get off, you will be charged the maximum fare.

The airport train station has a $15 surcharge. But, you can buy a ticket to a specific destination. So you won't over pay.

Also, as Riekie pointed out... taxies are way more expensive.

So, its really a case of pick your evil. But, remember google maps can tell you which is your quickest public transport option to get to your hotel. Just ask for directions (like you do in RSA) but then change the car to the little train. It will tell you whether the buss, train or a combination is the best. But you will need to give it the exact times or it will give you the wrong answer.

Cheers

So the motel was not the best after looking at the reviews so we cancelled the booking .. Thankfully free of charge. While staying at the airport lounge would have been an option if it was just us but we have a 3 year old .. Don't think it's going to be the best option.

Monsta thank you for the information. I have now been weighing that up

So can anyone suggest an alternative or which hotel close to the airport would be best? There are 5 of us!!

Edited by KirstyS

When we had a stopover in Sydney last year, we stayed at the Ibis Budget at the airport. It's the former Formule 1 so is of similar standard.

It was cheap and basic - but - emphasis on cheap - it was just somewhere to spend 8 hours sleeping and be able to shower before moving on.

It was a short taxi ride from the airport - could have walked it if we didn't have luggage and 2 kids.

Not sure what your budget is, but that could be an option.

It also has an airport shuttle.

The taxi cost us $12 though, so, meeh... ;)

Just realised there are 5 of you. Might have to ignore my suggestion above, I don't think they have rooms that fit 5, sorry!

Unfortunately, Sydney isn't rated as one of the most expensive cities in the world for nothing.

I think that everywhere around the airport is going to be expensive. Unless, as Hansa said, you get a really cheap place.

Add to that Sydney has unusual double decker trains. There is only a small area per carriage that's suitable for wheelchairs, prams, disabled people and people with baggage. Busses are even worse. The buss drivers have a tight schedule to stick to. So, you will fell uncomfortable getting on a bus and not knowing where to tap on, sit or put your luggage. Having kids makes it 3x as bad. Especially if you have a pram. There are strict rules about where a pram can go on a bus.

This may break your bank, but honestly I would book an airport transfer. A guy in a mini bus comes and fetches you and takes you to your hotel. Then you can book a slightly cheaper hotel as it won't need to be near public transport.

I have used these guys several times before:

http://asntransfers.com/asn_pub/

They do the north shore, so they might not service the hotel you want. But that site should give you an idea of what an "airport transfer" is.

Oh and I would recommend an airport transfer over a taxi. A taxi here is a regular car. Unlike a taxi, with a transfer you can prebook online so you are guaranteed a lift, you tell them your flight details (not what time to collect you.. They work it out) and they have a bigger vehicle which can fit all your luggage.

You could even prebook a transfer from the hotel to the airport. The website will tell you at what time they wil need to collect you. Let's say you don't realise that at 5pm the journey time doubles, when you cross a certain bridge. So, you land up booking the taxi for an hour too late. With the airport transfer, you give them your flight details and pickup address and they figure out when to fetch you. That could save your bacon.

Cheers

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. Monsta. You are scaring me LOL. I think I will avoid the buses and trains ? thankfully we don't have a pram but we will be lugging a booster seat.

Edited by KirstyS

Ai Kirsty, you must know by now that Monsta's glass is always half empty. My experience is quite different. I find people extemely helpful (busdrivers, train guards too) especially when you have kids in tow. Dont suffer in silence and end up fuming. The international rules apply here too. Speak up, make eye contact, smile and ask nicely. The busses around the airport are modern ones so will accommodate luggage and prams. Ask the driver (nicely) if you have questions. Respect peoples space in closed quarters and ask if you want to touch their stuff. In my experience, RSA's are not used to sharing tight spaces ( bus, train, etc) with people they dont know. Middle class RSA just literally dont give you the practice ;) I have seen a big RSA guy get on the train at Heathrow, saw there was no seats open, and plonked himself down on a man's suitcase! Was quite a scene. How bad was the feedback from the cheap motel you had booked? Will you catch something permanent? Is it way beyond something you could live with for a few hours? Remember, people are much more enthusiastic to post a bad review, than a ok one. And in your price range you are looking for a ok place. Think of it as an adventure, not a hurdle.

Edited Sunday morning grammar mistake...

Edited by rozellem
  • Like 3

Could not agree more rozellem. Great post.

Rozelle - you're talking way too much sense these days. Have you been taking wisdom pills again? :P

• Like 1

Rozelle - you're talking way too much sense these days. Have you been taking wisdom pills again? :P

Hey, grant me my 5mins on the soap box. At home I get completely ignored.........

• Like 1

Ai Kirsty, you must know by now that Monsta's glass is always half empty. My experience is quite different. I find people extemely helpful (busdrivers, train guards too) especially when you have kids in tow.

Hey Rozellem,

Perhaps I have been stuck in foreign countries in frustrating circumstances way too many times. But, to fly in to Sydney with 3 kids and have to navigate a completely new public transport system is quite an ordeal; especially after a long flight with kids.

Their first prize would definitely be to get a cheap hotel near the airport. If that's only a short, bus trip away, then great. But the hotel itself isn't going to be great, especially considering what they paid for it...

If they can't get a cheap hotel near by, then your advise on speaking up and bring friendly great advice. That is exactly what I have what I have told others before. But I still think Kristy and her family should avoid public transport if they can. I know a lot of people who have grown up in Sydney who would tell them to take an airport transfer. A hotel is going to be cheaper because its not near good public transport (like a train station). Missing their flight out would be more costly than the airport transfer.

But yes, its not impossible to use public transport. I have done it before... not that I would do it again. When I fly back to RSA I avoid taking luggage on the public transport.

Edited by monsta