Aus financial situation

GaanBos

Hi,

Somebody told me that Aus is in a recession, is this true and are ordinary people out there affected? If it doesn't make sense, sorry, but just want to know regarding work availability in IT or is now not a good time to go over?

Thanks

Hi GaanBos,

Aus is having a harder time than usual, but not even CLOSE to what SA is going through. The only bad time to come to Aus to tomorrow, as your Rand is worth less than today. I am in IT and having it tough in Perth. But my mates over east are having a blast and work is easy to find.

• Like 1

Things aren't great at the moment, but look at it this way - unemployment is somewhere around 6%. Unemployment in SA is in the 20s.

All things considered, there are still more jobs available in Aus than in SA.

People quit, retire and move on all the time, creating job vacancies. You just have to be lucky and good enough to fill that spot at the right time.

There are a lot of people out there struggling to find work - but - we have been hiring for software developers lately and we seriously struggled to find good quality candidates. Out of hundreds of resumes, we could only just find two decent developers. The quality out there is pretty poor from where I'm standing. Be better than them and you're in :)

That's my simplistic view on it.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 4

Australia is not in a recession but the mining boom is gone! The price of resources has crashed and this means mines retrench. I know of two people personally made redundant in the past month. Both in mine related fields. But if you not in the mining industry then business carries on.

• Like 1

Jordy - what would you say with regards to work for trades (carpenters specifically) at present?

We have been offered sponsorship from QLD on a regional 489 and obviously a little nervous in terms of job availability as we are not sure what type of residential growth and development there is over there - especially in regional areas where we have to live and work for the first 2 years.

Any opinions/advice?

Hi

I know it has been mentioned that November to end January are not good times to go job hunting. Is there any other time of the year that will also apply? June/July holidays? Or would the rest of the year be fine?

Thanks so much.

@Dancelot. The rest of the year is fine.

Just remember the recruitment system here is a mess. It boils down to, companies don't want to interview a dozen people. That's why they hire a recruiter. But in the big cities the recruiter just sends across the first 1/2 decent candidate he can find. The reruiters think the quicker they come back with a CV the more likely the company is to hire their candidates.

There is a lot of advise on this forum about how to navigate the system. Do a search for topics about CVs. A CV that us simple enough for a recruiter to understand is key. Also building a good profile on LinkedIn is key.

• Like 1

How long does it take on average to find a job over there?

There is no correct answer. Too many variables I'm afraid.

@NiniJ - I know this isn't helpful for Queensland, but we are in WA and my husband is a carpenters apprentice, and they have more work than they can actually accept. There seems to be huge issues with finding new apprentices willing to actually stick with it for four years, which is creating shortages in the trades.

• Like 1

@Dancelot. The rest of the year is fine.

Just remember the recruitment system here is a mess. It boils down to, companies don't want to interview a dozen people. That's why they hire a recruiter. But in the big cities the recruiter just sends across the first 1/2 decent candidate he can find. The reruiters think the quicker they come back with a CV the more likely the company is to hire their candidates.

There is a lot of advise on this forum about how to navigate the system. Do a search for topics about CVs. A CV that us simple enough for a recruiter to understand is key. Also building a good profile on LinkedIn is key.

My husband has find it just the opposite. One specific hard-headed recruiter that he dealt with while searching for jobs wouldn't even submit his resume to companies because, according to him, my husband didn't fit the profile or didn't meet the requirements when the opposite is true. Sometimes, he couldn't help but think that it had something to do with the fact that he was not a true blue Ozzie :glare:

My experience of recruitment companies in Australia is dismal, to say the least. For me, they were an absolute waste of time and space. I had four jobs in Australia and all four of them were direct advertisers.

• Like 3

Im with Mara,

Had to go via recruiters for the first time since I got to Aus and to sum it up: Waste of oxygen. Best to go it alone.

Thanks so much for the response. Looks like we will do our best to hit the market directly and try to go through contacts as apposed to recruitment agents and see what happens. My hubbies linkedin profile is already set to go. Now to start networking!

Here's praying we are there in the next 2 to 4 months.

Mmmmmm, my husband is in IT in Sydney and he would pretty much never work, if he tried to avoid agents. They are sort of a necessary evil (not all of them, of course) in the business. But yeah, Linkedin in big too.

Thank you Marikdp! I truly do appreciate it.

We wanted to come to WA (as we have quite a few friends there and have heard that there is demand for tradies that side) but we they were not offering sponsorship for carpenters at the time we applied and so we went with QLD.

My husband has been in carpentry since the age of 18 and I truly hope that we don't struggle to find work - I think it's probably one of the scariest things about this entire process for us!

NinJ,

As a chippie (carpenter) he would not find it hard to get work either side. I have a good mate who is a roof chippie and he does work on the side hand over fist. In 5 years he has paid for 2 houses. I would say that is not bad. Best wishes whatever you decide!

• Like 1

I work for an IT company and we've grown from about 13 to 27 staff in the last 3 years. There's definitely a market for IT but obviously it depends on what your skills are. Check out www.seek.com.au to see how many jobs are listed with your skill set to give you an idea. And make sure your linked-in profile is up to date. We often use it to recruit staff.

Thanks SurferMan! Truly appreciate it.

My husband is a surfer and his nick name is "surferbum" hahaha so very appropriate that you commented :-)

Hopefully we will be in Auz soon and that everything works out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quite an old thread but still applicable and perhaps more so now!

It always depends....in short the indexes gives an overview of the health of the economy.

However there are often green island of growth for the picking - you just need to know where to find them. This applies for most countries even RSA.

To illustrate this:

post-878-0-64634300-1440207586_thumb.jpg

The top graph is the RSA all share index and shows the forecast for for the next 18 months which doesn't look good.

If you select "bluechips" in the same market you most of the time will get better performance as shown in the middle graph

The bottom graph shows the USA's SP500 for the next 18 months - not good news at all for the rest of the world.

The same accounts for the ASX - which means soon will be a good time to start buying equities.

• Like 1