Leaving on a jet plane....

data

Bags are packed, farewells are mostly complete and it's time to leap across the lake into the next big adventure in our lives (me, dw and 20 month old).

Flying out of Joburg to Sydney on Qantas tomorrow evening with over 100kgs of luggage, carry on, pram etc etc... oi.

A fairly soft landing staying at my sister and then heading to Hamilton Island on Friday for some jet lag recovery time with the family.

Here's to the future!!

Good luck to all with your applications.

Re

DT

• Like 6

Welcome Data, wishing you a great and uneventful flight and a wonderful new life in Australia.

Welcome to Aus Data,

I wish you all the best to you and your young family! It's going to be a blast, trust me!

• Like 1

Wow, lucky you. Hamilton Island is awesome. Ps. Your sis would know this, but get a Coles order to be delivered to your accommodation before you arrive, so you dont need to shop for groceries at the one and only shop there (who assume you are part of the glitterati). $$$$

Thanks Batsie,

Arrived safely in Sydney. Just keep falling asleep whenever I sit down - damn jetlag!!

• Like 2

Good to hear that you had a safe trip. Jetlag will definitely be an issue. All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's now two weeks in Oz... first week was supposed to be a holiday but my kid was sick so it was anything but relaxing.

Went to a GP - fairly straightforward with medicare but it wasn't a bulkbilling practice so we had to cover some costs - diagnosis hand foot and mouth probably from a sandpit in SA.

A couple of days spent doing some admin like applying for Tax File Numbers, having kids vaccines loaded onto medicare system and lodoing my Oz number with the banks. All bank accounts, drivers licence and medicare was all done when we came to check in.

On the job front, I have met some friends of friends who have sent my CV out for me. There is also a recruiter that I met on my check in trip that has been working hard for me but these things take time. The recruiter set me up with an interview yesterday for a group finance role at an ASX listed co. They seem interested and I am having my second interview on Monday. Only a 6 month contract though but I think it will be well worthwhile getting a known name onto the CV as well as that elusive Oz experience... let's hope.

Otherwise, I can't describe how incredible the atmosphere is in the city. It's not New York mad but has a more relaxed buzz to it... so far so good.

• Like 2

Good luck with the second interview. It's like gold even though it's a 6 month contract - that could just be to protect them against the unknown - many contracts go to permanent. And as you say, worst case - it gives you that first bit of experience.

• Like 1

Welcome to Sydney. Shout if you need any advice about areas, kids, haircuts, general stuff....

@Hansa, Thanks, good to know that there may be some permanence down the line.

@Batsie, Thanks

@rozellem, I will ask you when I realise what I don't know... and i'm sure there is plenty.

When you said SA I was wondering when you were last in South Australia. I hear Adelaide is a beautiful city, bit its quite far from Sydney.

Hand foot and mouth disease is unfortunately going around Sydney at the moment...

So today I got the contract - 6 month Group Financial Accountant... Very exciting you say? Well I am! ;) time to get some points on the board.

Edited by data
  • Like 2

That's great! Congratulations. That's the first and biggest hurdle

Hand foot and mouth disease is unfortunately going around Sydney at the moment...

meanwhile foot in mouth disease is going around Canberra! :whome:

• 2 months later...

So its almost three months to the day that we have been in Oz. Its had ups and downs but for the most part has been positive.

We are living in Sydney and managed to find an apartment about a week before our shipment arrived. The rental market is brutal - highly competitive and the prices are mad when you are still converting. Renting is cheap though when you consider the cost of buying!

For the most part everything arrived in one piece. Some random items that we cant find though...

I was fortunate to find contract work as I stepped off of the boat so have been busy - dont let anyone kid you - these Aussies work hard! The last three weeks I havent left the office before 20.00 but should settle in a couple weeks after financial year end. Company is fairly happy with me and are suggesting towards permanent but will bring up the discussions formally in mid-August.

I have to commute about an hour door to door and go over the bridge. Everyday that I see the Sydney Opera House and the harbour, I get this crazy childish excitement and cant believe that I live here.

Weekends have been busy with exploring and going to the parks. Lots to do but this last weekend was the first one where I was able to put my feet up and felt a little less like a visitor and a little more like a resident.

With just one income until DW passes her exams and gets a job, it is tough to break even each month. Will be tapping into a bit of savings in order to make it each month. Not significantly but i prefer to put money away than take out.

Anyway, enough ramblings, good luck to all and keep positive. This place is will be what you make of it.

Dan

• Like 2