reputable recruitment agents in Brisbane?

mvluik

So it seems like submitting a resume without Aussie experience is like running into a brick wall...and banging your head against that wall if you say you are not currently in Aussie land!

Can anybody recommend a reputable recruitment agent in Queensland that will at least be willing to look at an immigrants resume? We are in Brisbane in 2weeks time to scout for job opportunities, so would like to make appointments with agents beforehand to meet face to face. Hubby is a CA and business coach-- so hoping, praying and believing for something in financial management line. Thanking you in advance

Having the same problem, but in Melbourne :( I'm tempted to simply turn up at agencies and drop off my resume, but I'm guessing that might cause it to be binned...

Good luck!

Go see the agents face to face. They get thousands of resumes and you're just another one in the pile...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I found that job hunting in Australia is very different than in South Africa. It is a lot about whom you know and are connected to. A very good place to start is LinkedIn. If you do not have a profile in LinkedIn yet, create one, if you do have one, keep it updated. A lot of recruitment is done from LinkedIn as the recruitment agencies tend to be very expensive.

Connect to as many people and groups, within the line of work you will be doing, in the Australian city that you will be looking for work on LinkedIn.

Look at the available jobs in Australia on Seek and also familiarise yourself with the way that Australian CV's are written. They do not like a CV with more than 3 pages and often use electronic tools to search for key words in you CV & LinkedIn profile. The key is to have the words from the advertisement in you CV. You will often have to create a specific version of your CV for a specific job and will need a system where you can record which job you applied for on which date and what CV you used. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works. It might be money well spend to get a professional to assist you with your CV.

If your current employer knows that you will be leaving, you can also put on your LinkedIn profile that your are seeking opportunities in Australia. In that case also put the status of your visa/application.

Once you are permanently in Queensland, connect to business groups in your line of business and attend their networking functions. There are quite a few going in the Brisbane area. Where are you planning to settle?

The recruitment companies normally only contact you when they have something in the pipeline.

Let me know how you go.

• Like 2

Is it really this difficult to find jobs in AUS? I am seriously starting to worry. It seems everyone is struggling to find work it's becoming really worrying as we are only coming over in January ?

Just make it your full time job to look for a job. It takes time & effort but you will find one in the end. Just don't give up easily. It also depends on the level and type of job you want. Aussies mostly don't stay in jobs for a long period of time. It is one of the reasons why there are so many applicant for each job.

Another tip, if you apply for a job, follow up the next day with a phone call to confirm that they have received it. It sometimes helps to get it on top of the pile.

The recruitment system is broken here.

The problem is recruiters keyword match. So people list skills they don't have.

I have been in two jobs where both companies complained bitterly about it. We just had a company meeting today where our CEO mentioned it was making it difficult to find suitable employees.

I feel for all of you guys looking for a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. When I arrived in Feb 2012 (after 10 yrs in UK) I started applying for Mining jobs. I must have sent out about 200-300 applications in the first 2 months. Eventually I did get a job with a mining services company and started in July (this was the only interview that I got out of all applications). Fast forward to Oct 2014 when I was made redundant. I immediately started applying for any jobs in mining (again) and got a casual position. This started as a 3 week position and I am still here after 6 months and have just been informed that it will be ongoing indefinitely. The point I am making is that there are very few permanent jobs going at the moment. Most companies are going the casual way. If you get a offer on one of these positions it gets you in the door and you can start networking. Here the old saying goes " It's not what you know, but who you know". One of the other casuals here on the mine recently left after 3 years. He also started on a 3 week contract.