The beginning of the end.........

Geelslang

Or more accurately I hope, the end of corrupt government, car guards, load shedding, minibus taxis, beggars at the traffic lights, etc..........

Resigned today. Coming over in June 2015. Plan to look for work around Sydney. Any tips regarding things to do when I get there? I was going to rent a car to get around, now also thinking I could buy a cheapie rather.

Any tips regarding obtaining a short term rental apartment around the North to North West of Sydney.

There are still corrupt governments here. I say governments because Australia is a commonwealth of state governments. But I bet you knew that :)

The best thing to do on an LSD trip is to live an average life here. Go to the shops, go to a church, etc.. Try to stay in different suburbs. Id you can spend a few days in the hills (e.g seven hills), a few days in Ryde or Lane Cove, etc.. The suburbs differ wildly, but it may take a few days to notice.

As for transport. I highly recommend you try the public transport. There are many areas that are becoming a no go zone for cars. Basically the local council intentionally limits the available parking to force people to use public transport. These areas include, Pyrmont, the CBD and Chatswood. If you land up working in those areas, you will travel on public transport.

But its also worth having a car some days, just to get a feel for how busy the roads are. Try a company called "No Birds" as they are quite cheap. But you will have to get to them using public transport. So I would use them for say one week of a two week trip (and use the public transport the rest of the time). Also, parking in the CBD is going to cost you $45 per day and you pay +-$7 in tolls each way.

As for what to see:

Go for dinner and gambling at your nearest RSL club.

Go watch a local rugby league game. Or even better, go watch the Sydney Swans at Olympic Park.

Visit Macquarie shopping Centre and the shops in Chatswood (its the Chinese area on the north shore).

Go and spend a day on the ferries. Go to the north shore stops like Cremorne, Musgrave Street, etc. Just get of and walk around at each stop. There are wonderful parks and harbour views. Also, the trip to Manly is awesome, but its boring when you get there. The ferry goes almost out to sea. That ferry is a special ferry for that that leaves from Circular Quay. It goes direct to Manly.

Take the river boat (also a ferry) from Pyrmont to Paramatta. Go to the Westfield in Paramatta (a shopping centre) and/or the Paramatta RSL.

Go for a walk around the CBD and Pyrmont. Oh and start at Milsons Point, so you have to walk across the harbour bridge to get to the CBD.

Go to a pub with friends. Try a "Vietnamese pork roll".

The list above are some low cost options that are well worth seeing. I would rather see those than go to the aquarium (and it costs $40!). But you will walk a lot.

Cheers

Edited by monsta

Thanks Monsta. Some great tips. I have done a LSD trip about 6 years ago and went to Perth about 3 years ago. This however is the real thing. One way ticket. Family to follow. Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try some of those.

BTW. I remember going to the aquarium when I was in Sydney previously. It was ok, but not up to the high standard of the Cape Town aquarium (which is being upgraded). We have spent many days in the Cape aquarium. The aquarium in Perth was pathetic. Took about 10 minutes to go through.

Hey, sorry. I must have miss read and thought you were coming over on an LSD, not comming over permanently.

Well, perhaps someone else who is actually doing a LSD will fins benefit in my stupidity. Sydney isn't just taronga zoo, the blue mountains and the aquarium.

To answer your question... To get a cheap rental, I used google maps. If the rental is near a train station or in the CBD, it will attract a much higher rent. That's because tourists would rent it. So look on wotiff.com or realestate.com.au (for a holiday rental) that looks a bit off the tourist track; then use the directions feature on google maps and see if you can make it work.

For example, I stayed in Mosman when I first arrived. I got the place for $750 per week. Public transport was almost non existent at night or sudays. But we knew that was the trade off. Most other places online were going for $1000 and over.

If you don't mind not sleeping, then there are always youth hostels. If you are just job hunting, then spending an hour to get to the CBD isn't a disaster. Just make it clear on your CV where you actually plan to move to once you get a job.

Edited by monsta

Steer clear of WA.....

Western Australia's collapsing GST allocation is the most severe economic shock the state has faced since the share crash of the late 1980s, Premier Colin Barnett says.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/27152635/wa-faces-severe-economic-shock-barnett/

What a wally that Colin is.

Thanks Monsta. The place you stayed in Mosman/ Would that have been a furnished unit? Was thinking of getting a temporary place way our of Sydney and then taking a train in for interviews. As you say, time is not an issue at the job seeking stage. Not sure how workable my master plan is. Nothing can go wrong, go wrong........

Actually will be basing myself initially with friends in Brisbane and plan to fly to Sydney hopefully for interviews, so will probably need about 3 to 4 days a week in Sydney while job hunting. Thinking flying back and forth with free accommodation in Brisbane will work out cheaper overall.

Hey,

The apartment was furnished. But you need to to rent it for at least a week. There are many places where you get a discount for longer stays. I stayed in a place in Bondi and got a discount because I stayed there for over 5 days.

Just bear that in mind when you decide on the fly in or stay decision.

Also bear in mind that some company policies require them to fly you to Sydney. Obviously, companies in that boat may think twice about hiring people from out of their state. You might be wise to tell recruiters that you are in Sydney from Monday to Wednesday. That way companies don't feel obliged to pay for your plane ticket. If there are no job interviews that week, then stay in Brisbane.

Edited by monsta

Slang, Mosman is nice but expect to pay n premium for living in such a posh area (only busses there, no trains). Do check out airbnb.com.au for more options.

Thanks for the info guy. Monsta, was the place in Bondi OK and do you recall what you paid per week. Was it a little single room flat with kitchenette or just a room?

Or more accurately I hope, the end of corrupt government, car guards, load shedding, minibus taxis, beggars at the traffic lights, etc..........

Resigned today. Coming over in June 2015. Plan to look for work around Sydney. Any tips regarding things to do when I get there? I was going to rent a car to get around, now also thinking I could buy a cheapie rather.

Any tips regarding obtaining a short term rental apartment around the North to North West of Sydney.

Carguards, minibus taxis.... Reading this post made me realize how I don't miss them.... :boxing:

Mr Slang, please look on airbnb, $66 a night is dirt cheap! You dont have to go with this one, but look at the feedback sections, they are invaluable when deciding. https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/2426898?checkin=02-06-2015&checkout=05-06-2015&s=nIyP

Carguards, minibus taxis.... Reading this post made me realize how I don't miss them.... :boxing:

I notice you didn't say beggars at the traffic lights. Go into the Sydney CBD and you will miss them more..

WA spent itself into poverty and the polies did not use the mining boom to get rid of debt etc. he only has himself to blame.

WA spent itself into poverty and the polies did not use the mining boom to get rid of debt etc. he only has himself to blame.

All politics seems to be spending as much as you can - preferably screwed out of someone else - otherwise borrowed.

What makes WA different?

Last election here in ACT, it was a case of "I bid an old age home" - "I'll raise you a sprts stadium" - "I offer ......

... and I wonder - "they sound like I was when I got my first credit card" .... that got me into crap as well.

• Like 1

I have a different view on WA. Running Western Australia Pty Ltd with an annual budget of $28b takes more than a mom-and-pop shop. Comparing this to RioTinto's revenue of $47b with just a few different commodities - you can do so much more (and they are also in trouble because the sales didn't materialise) Now if you look at infrastructure investments done in WA - its mind boggling and across a wide and strategic range to serve the public for 50+ years. This is all good debt - not pink bats in roof type of investments. Just a note on WA gov performance measures: the elective surgery wait time is less than national average. The gov own household expenditures are the lowest of all states (except Tas) and there are more - see budget.
Is it a perfect budget? Well a simple question: how do you divide a small cake among a large family – with everyone that wants the best deal? You will always have some unsatisfied kids. See WA budget in pictorial view here: http://www.treasury.wa.gov.au/cms/Budget-Summary.aspx

Looking at the previous budget 2013/14 they already anticipated that Western Australia’s population share of the GST will fall from 55% in 2012-13 to only 45% in 2013-14 and is expected to continue falling to 7% by 2016-17. Note that they didn't expect that to occur in 2014/15 budget!!! Further the reduction of 1000 government employees (and again done this year) resulted that some of the services had to let go. Obviously that affected some people somewhere. The summary here: http://www.treasury.wa.gov.au/cms/uploadedFiles/State_Budget/Budget_2013_14/2013-14_Budget_Fact_Sheets.pdf

Are they doing a good job running a $28b company with all the investments and services that needs to be delivered and still show a saving while keeping ''nit-picking customers'' happy? I think so….

Hmm,

Thought provoking but the obvious things for me are the new beer can stadium. Honestly, we didn't need it. Elizabeth Quay, we don't need it. But overall if I compare it to my former council in SA, which was run into the ground 9 times, we are doing great.