Still thinking about it.......

JackoFam

Hi

I have been perusing this forum for a few weeks and am overwhelmed by how much info and help you guys give each other. My husband and I have just started the immigration talks 2 months ago and while I am pretty much decided that its what is best for us he is still undecided. His biggest stumbling block is that he has just started a PHD but since he is now 41 I am so concerned we will miss the 45 years old window.

I am just starting to collect our documents (just in case) and am finding out as much as possible about the process.

Will keep checking in on the forum and when we have made the decision I am sure I will be bombarding everyone with many many questions. Just wanted to introduce myself as its rude to lurk in the corners :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Hope you can meet on middle ground - it's tough when couples don't agree.

... Especially when it's on such an important topic.

• Like 1

Welcome Jacko!

There is no reason why your hubby couldnt continue with his Phd from this side. But it is stressful process and will surely hamper his studies. Anyway Welcome!

• Like 1

I started my post grad in SA working 250 hours plus a month, plus 30-40 hours a week. I continued here in Aus as soon as I landed. In fact it was hugely better here as the worked hours were almost halved. And you get way more support here than in SA> (MY experience anyways)

If he is 41 you guys should have a serious talk.....if you miss the cutoff...eisch. But well done on the decision-ish!

You are most welcome to our small part of cyberspace. All I can say is we have been here nearly 20 years and it is definitely the best decision we ever made!

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The problem with dh PhD is that it is linked to his current job, he is doing a PhD on the work he is doing so couldn't really leave until he gets to the writing up stage. Also I think we will need his PhD to get enough points to emigrate since he is over 40.

I also agree that one cannot make this momentous decision unless both parties are in absolute agreement. It's hard enough to get through it as is

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought I would let all of who gave me such helpful advice know that we signed with Migrate2Oz yesterday.

• Like 5

Well done! I firmly believe that in this life the best thing you can have are options. Once you have that visa, you have the option of whether and when to use it. If you chose to move to Oz, you have the option to stay, return or move on.

Just take each step at a time, you've chosen a good place for support.

Thanks Dxb2Oz. The amount of admin to be accomplished is daunting but step by step is how I am approaching it.

Edited by JackoFam