5 months in and loving it!

SaffaNZimbo

OH arrived in Perth at the end of September 2014 and the girls and I flew in at the beginning of November after a quick visit to my mum in NZ.

After 14 years in UK it was (almost) like coming home - hot, sunny weather and friendly people.

OH had been lucky to get a job on a mine after just 2 weeks but hated it and by chance his dream job he had applied for from the UK in July (but didn't get as he wasn't "on the ground in WA") was readvertised. He applied, had a interview and started work at one of Margaret Rivers oldest wineries on 10 November.

The girls and I stayed with friends in Dawesville until 23 January. Rentals in Margaret River are literally like hen's teeth!! The girls attended Ocean Road Primary in Dawesville from 12th November to end of the December term and absolutely loved it! Kangaroo's and all sorts of bird life in abundance in and around the lovely school grounds.

We were a little sad to say goodbye to our lovely friends in Dawesville but itching to get into our own home. Friday 23rd January we left at 5am and drove down to Margs. OH started work at 8am that day and Kent Removals arrived at our rental at 10am to offload our household of goods. Amazingly only 2 breakages from a 40 foot container - OH's visor on his Honda Fireblade (he had brought with a spare) and my slow cooker (easily replaced).

The girls started school at St Thomas More Catholic School on 2 February and after 9 weeks of school are now on 2 weeks holidays for Easter. Both girls absolutely love school and our youngest who only made the Year 1 cut-off by 3 days (born on 27 June) rather than struggling like she did in the UK school is in the top reading and maths group which has really made her happy.

We have found a lovely little Anglican Church (emphasis on "little"!). On a good day a congregation of 15! We had thought the Church in England was suffering but in Australian is seems worse - less than 10% of Aussies attend church regularly.

We had a lovely Palm Sunday down in Augusta. The Anglican Church in the SW rotates its service amongst the churches in Cowaramup, Osmington, Margaret River and Augusta on important dates. Absolutely lovely service really nice to see over 40 people in attendance.

OH is loving his job and we are managing on 1 salary (something we could not do in the UK!). I am looking for work but finding it a hard nut to crack but the locals say be patient and word of mouth is key.

I do miss the buzz of a larger city but for now we are enjoying living in rural WA and the girls are absolutely loving the outdoor life and abundance of wildlife.

We still havn't faced a winter here but it can't be that bad after UK winters (we hope!).

OH finally admitted that although homesick for SA at times (in UK all the time!) he thinks of Australia as our new home and we looking forward to a bright and sunny future DownUnder.

• Like 4

Thanks for your post. Best of luck on the new adventure for you and your family.

Awesome post. Best of luck for the future.

We will be over there in 6 months. Just got our 189.

Hope we can call Aus our home sooner than later...

You are in a beautiful part of the world... Glad you have settle well into your new 'home'. I hope you continue to adjust well into your new surroundings.

Great news to hear you are settling down and enjoying life, absolutely a bonus!

What a lovely post! thanks for sharing. Margaret river is truly Beautiful! Glad you found a nice church...that can help in settling into the community. It may not be a bustling city but sometimes a slower life can provide more family time.

Winters are nothing compared to the UK but you will soon be so aclimatised that you will be complaining how cold winter is. 5C suddenly feels like -5C because you get used to the warm WA weather. Enjoy your new life!

Your post sounds so happy and positive :) I know that a lot of people have a tough time moving to Australia but it is nice for the folks in SA to see that there can also be good experiences. I recently went camping in the Margaret River area - looks so beautiful out there.