How hard was it to get a rental property?

Sani

Hi all

Just wondering how difficult people found it to find a property to rent given that we'll not have a local credit history and no jobs when we get there. Moving to Melbourne in 4 weeks' time.

We've booked into temp accomodation for 2 weeks so have to find something within that time. I've heard of people having to offer 6 months' rent upfront etc. Would love to hear other peoples' experiences on the rental front.

Edited by Sani

Why not try to extend your temp accomodation to 4-6 weeks, this will give you time to find something you like rather than rush into 12months rent that you are not sure of.... It may be more expensive but it takes off the stress a little. do stuff and set things up as so minimize your stress....you wont getr rid of it but it may be more manageable. The first two weeks are crazy. Make looking for a job a priority rather.

Just a thought.....

Reid.

Hi Sani

If you have been renting in SA, bring a reference with from your landlord. If you owned your property and have sold it, try and get the agent that sold it for you to give you a reference, mostly about the condition of your property, that you are an honest person, etc. If you are a church goer, get a character reference from your minister. I know of somebody who arrived here with all three, and they were given a rental property that quite a few other had applied for as well.

Of course, it all depends on where you want to rent. In some areas the rental market is such that you have seriously compete with others for every house rental that becomes available. In other areas it may be easier, especially if you go a bit further out of the city.

I would also suggest that you bring a letter from your insurance company stating what your no claim bonus is, for both your home and your vehicles, it could help you get insurance at a better rate here.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Hi there

I have to agree with Mara the references are a life saver. I suggest you make a little pack with your references copies of ids, copies of visas and bank account details as well as your references. Make a few copies of these so when you find a property you like you can just make your offer and and handover the pack. If they know you are serious and organised and don't have to go back and forth for info you might have a head start over any other applicants applying for the same property.

Good Luck

We found that trying to rent a place in Melbourne was a nightmare. So much so that we've given up and decided to buy instead. Depends on the area though - some places are easier than others. What part of Melbourne are you planning on renting in? (i.e. close to city? or further out?)

I definintely agree about getting as many references as possible, and proof of being able to support yourself. You might be up against a few other people to rent the same property, so you want to stand out of the crowd with your glowing character reference and the promise that you'll be a model tenant. The trick is being prepared and being able to provide paperwork in a shot.

Reid, I would imagine that short term accommodation is expensive and that's the reason for not extending it, am I right?

Sani, I don't mean to be the prophet of doom and gloom when it comes to renting, but just want you to be prepared for the worst.

On the bright side - if you're not working during that 2 weeks, it should be easier to find a place, as many places are "open for inspection" during weekdays - and you have an advantage over the full time working weekend house searchers. I would suggest regitering your interest with a few agents and calling them regularly to ask what's available - they're probably not going to call you...

Essentially, everybody wants a place that:

1. is the right price

2. has the right amount of rooms

3. is available when you want it

4. does not already have 10 other applications pending on it

5. is in the right area and close to transport

6. has the right term that you want to rent, i.e. 6 months, 1 year

Unfortunately, most of the time you may have to compromise and give way on one or more of the above, as finding a place that ticks all the boxes at the same time is very difficult.

I hope my ramblings help a little... good luck!

Thanks everyone. Time to get all the paperwork sorted out.

We definitely want to find something as soon as we arrive as I cannot stand the thought of living in temp accomodation longer than we have to. Also with a 3 year old, it would be nice to get him settled and into some sort of routine asap.

Thanks again guys

Edited by Sani

Hi

www.realestate.com.au

Millions of rental propperties available.

Kind regards

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Would it help if for example i show a title deed proving i still own a house in my home country.

Would it help if for example i show a title deed proving i still own a house in my home country.

No, not really. Some areas has an over-demand for rental properties and landlords now have a choice of who they want to live in their properties. Obviously they'd prefer someone who could afford the rent and pay on time, does not have a bunch of young terrors or teenagers who'll wreck the place and someone who has the intention to rent for an extended time to ensure a steady, long-term stream of income along with minimal damage to the property. That's why, once you've qualified yourself financially by providing proof of income (payslip, letter of employment etc) it is so important that you have good references for previous rentals or alternatively character references from your church, employer etc.

When a landlord is presented with a number of applications, he will choose the application which best meets his criteria. If you are a regular family with regular kids (or no kids), and have a good track record, you stand a much better chance. :blink: Tip: if you have small kids and they are angels, take them with when you view the property - and if they're in the middle of the terrible twos or punk hair & tattoo teenage years, rather not... (trust me, the agent does convey their observations to the landlord.....) Non-smokers also seem to have an advantage, so if you do smoke, don't lit up... It may not be a requirement on the application, but it might just be the one thing that swings the landlord to another applicant... ;)

Another thing to consider is to rent just two blocks down from where the big hype is. Often, you'll find the same size house for much less and without the price tag. When you've lived in a country where your human worth were measured by your status (i.e. where you live, what car you drive etc.) it is difficult to bring yourself to take the cheaper option in a less "desirable" area. I'm not talking "wrong side of the track", but is it really so important which street you live in??

Also, it is a good idea to set up Email alerts on property sites such as www.realestate.com.au & www.domain.com.au That way you are almost first to know about a property becoming available and you can arrange an inspection and possibly submit your application even before the weekly local newspaper hit the streets! We found our rental property on an Email alert and signed the lease the next day!! :ilikeit:

If all else fails, there's always the local caravan park.... ;):D (sorry, couldn't help it! :holy: )

I hope this helps a bit with your concerns Sani. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi

Be nice. I work with real estate people, and I have heard them say, often enough that the home owner will pick who they recommend. If you are nice, have well behaved kids, look well presented, have a job (if you do not have one yet, you can suggest to pay the rent 6 months in advance, to show that you can afford to) and are willing to live further out of town, you might be successful.

Hi

Be nice. I work with real estate people, and I have heard them say, often enough that the home owner will pick who they recommend. If you are nice, have well behaved kids, look well presented, have a job (if you do not have one yet, you can suggest to pay the rent 6 months in advance, to show that you can afford to) and are willing to live further out of town, you might be successful.

Abolutely - very good advice. :ilikeit:

When a landlord isn't sure which applicant to choose, he's going to ask the real estate agent - "what do you think?" at which point the agent will go for the one he liked the most, or he felt would give him the lease hassles if he's managing the property in future....

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived last month and i did not find it hard at all to secure a rental in Mandurah.

I have the feeling, things are steady for the time being. But i nevertheless paid upfront 12 weeks rent + the bond.

Karen

Ons het 2weke gevat om die regte huis te kry en vriende van ons wat nou hierna toe getrek het,het maar 2dae gevat .Ek dink dit hang maar baie af van plek tot plek.Hoop jul kom sommer gou reg.

Sterkte Ursula

Ek het so deur die forum gelees, want dis hopelik ook binnekort my beurt.

Soos ek verstaan, gaan ek gelukkig op 'n meer plattelandse plek moet huis soek, maar wat my nogal onkant vang, is dat geredelik baie forumgangers verwys na areas - slegter of beter? Ons wat nog hier is SA is, het nog nie 'n gevoel vir dit nie. Hoe word 'n area "gerate" - bepaal? Hier by ons gaan dit oor die aantal inbrake, hi-jacks en ongure elemente in die area teenwoordig, maar by julle nie. :) Moontlik oor die ouderdom van die huise, boustyl, geraas, ens, en wat niks te doen het met die mense wat daar bly nie? Ek let ook op dat party eiendom in die kusdorpe (The Bay), vir dieslfde bedrag verhuur word as soortgelyke huise binnelands. Is dit moontlik agv die vog?

Hoop om 'n bietjie feedback.

Groetnis

JJ

Hi JAY JAY dit is so daar is goeie areas en slegte areas soos enige ander plek.Dis hoekom almal hier op die forum jou kan advies gee so as die tyd nader kom kan jy op die form se waar jul min of meer gaan bly of na wil kyk en mense kan vir jou n idee gee waar is goed en waar is dalk nie so goed nie.Glo my die advies sal jou baie help om te weet waar om te kyk.

Sterkte Ursula

Edited by Allie&Urs