ICAA Skills Assessment

Shehraan

So my agent got an email about my review assessment today. Seems I will not get a positive result from ICAA as I do not have Accounting 312 313 and 314. All financial reporting.

Agent says I can try CPA for another $445 (and only after 1 July as some changes will take place) but he is no longer confident in the outcome.

I can't believe I don't qualify as an accountant.

Any advice welcome...

So my agent got an email about my review assessment today. Seems I will not get a positive result from ICAA as I do not have Accounting 312 313 and 314. All financial reporting.

Agent says I can try CPA for another $445 (and only after 1 July as some changes will take place) but he is no longer confident in the outcome.

I can't believe I don't qualify as an accountant. So heartbroken.

Any advice welcome...

So sorry about your assessment outcome :(

I hope that someone does have an alternative for you to apply under. At least 1 July is just around the corner and I will pray that whatever changes are made to the SOL etc will be in your favour, and that the CPA assessing body gives you a positive review.

QACR there are basically three recognised accounting bodies in Australia, the two you mentioned and the Institute of Public Accountants however I am not sure whether they all can provide a skills assessment since a skills assessment is really e.g. the ICAA saying that your qualifications are similar to what they allow to become a member in Australia. Unfortunately CA and CPA are quite competitive and they compare with each other but I am told it is easier to become a CPA (but I cannot confirm it).

I also did the similar accounting which you did which was not part of the CA school and I had to redo some subjects to do Hons Bcompt CTA CA etc. The focus of 312 (as opposed to the 310) was more user friendly in a way.

I guess you can consider doing accounting subjects at an Australian University via correspondence or UNISA but it will take time. However the reality is at the moment (and the last year) there are many accountants (including CAs) that struggle to find work here in Perth. There seems to be some jobs for bookkeepers but I am sure that is not a skill on the list. So it seems unlikely that you will get a sponsor at this stage.

Good luck.

Thanks. I see IPA also does assessments and they are affiliated to SAIPA so this may be a better root. I can also do the 3 modules will look into this.

My husband is motor mechanic foreman so I believe we can get there on 457.

Just need to trust God to make away...

Hi QACR,

You just burst my bubble!

My skills assessment was returned with a negative result previously (2013) as I was missing Accounting Theory and Financial Accounting. I have completed a BCOM (Specializing in Financial Management). I then went onto complete FAC2601 and FAC2602, as well as FAC3701 which UNISA advised me was equivalent to those subjects covered in Accounting Theory in Australia. I resubmitted today for review to ICAA after having to redo my English Test again which had expired, in the hope of avoiding the changes being implemented on the 1st July

From what you have posted though, it would appear that this has all been in vain and I will still have to complete an additional 3 FAC370 modules.

I guess I am still looking for a miracle but I am not at all confident after reading your post.

Hi QACR

It might be worth having your skills assessed again in July.

The competency areas are being changed and accounting theory and financial accounting will be one category instead of two.

Look at the changes on the CPA Australia website.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Morning everybody,

We are SUPER excited, feedback from ICCA skills assessment positive :ilikeit: we can now move forward! Feedback in less than 2 weeks :jester: just in time before the requirements change for accountants. Now we can lodge for our Visa's! Whopaaaaa!

Have a super weekend!

Geite - congratulations I am genuinely happy for you.

Jolene - I am hoping Peanuts is right and the change on 1 July will be to our benefit.

My parents asked if this door was now closed and honestly I don't believe that. I know where we are headed just need to trust God to make a way...

Edited by QACR
  • Like 1

Congrats Geite, I am really happy for you. I am interested to know if you did the 312, 313, and 314 Financial reporting subjects in your degree?

QACR, I am with you 100% this is by no means the end of the road for us, as my husband pointed out last night all it means is a possible 6 month delay to our plans. What is another 3 modules in the greater scheme of things.

If this was easy, everyone would be doing it! Lets stay positive and trust that God will open the doors that need opening :)

• Like 1

Hi Jolene & QACR,

My wife is a CPA, we applied on her skills :blush-anim-cl: although I have a MBA & Bachelors Degree it seems like her accounting skills mean a lot more :oops:

We are still praying about our decision, our first baby is coming at end of September and that is really what made us to start thinking about this journey....and then I got attacked whilst cycling in the middle of the day in Stellenbosch. Not such a good experience.....

We are using New World Immigration(Jonathan Pretorius) as our agent, their advice and support is amazing.

Will find out about the Financial reporting subjects and revert. I am sure that there is nothing to worry about after 1 July. Just keep on believing!

All the best,

Geite