It is finally happening - Eeeeek

Donelle

So here we go!

We booked our flights! Our house is sold and we are resigning this week from our Jobs....

Landing in the beautiful city of Melbourne on 20th May 2015... and we cannot wait. Both my hubby and I are absolutely bubbling over with excitement!

We have found a lovely little place in Fitzroy North via Airbnb (thanks for the guidance from all the lovely peeps on this forum) for the first 2 1/2 months. During this time we will be looking for a longer term rental and of course jobs :)

We have also decided to go with two move cubes to get our nearest and dearest belongings over.

The last few months have been quite interesting. It truly felt like we were climbing to the top of a huge mountain, slow and exhausting and we have finally reached the summit, just to take a base jump off. Things are speeding along so fast we can barely keep track of the days.

The last week I have started cleaning, packing into containers, detailing content and bubble wrapping our bits and pieces. I have also started sorting, donating and selling off the things we are not planning to take with. I am finding the process very therapeutic and it is keeping me from completely exploding with excitement, stress and just about every other emotion it is possible to feel.

My wonderful hubby and I had tons of fun last night. He digitally designed the two move cubes, we measured and re-created all our containers, boxes, fridges, tables and the like... put on some Tetris music and sat trying to maneuver all our possessions into the two cubes :) had a good giggle!

I am sure at some point the reality of us leaving all our friends and family behind will kick in with a vengeance, but for now just enjoying the ride. :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Good luck with all your travels, packing and adventures RosemaryC! Hope you guys have smooth sailing all the way :)

Hey Shabani,

Sure thing :)

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/en-za/

Sizes:

Small: Height 1.871m Width 1.114m Length 0.964m Volume 2.01m³

Medium: Height 1.871m Width 1.464m Length 1.112m Volume 3.05m³

Large: Height 1.871m Width 1.464m Length 2.264m Volume 6.20m³

They also ship boxes door to door.

To get prices follow this link - there are quite a few options for a general price, but it is all online and quite quick to do https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/getquote

The small ones start from R 7 400 (there are additional costs for clearnaces etc.) and the large ones start from round R15 400.

Hope this is helpful!

• 4 weeks later...

Today, in a month and our flight will be landing in Melbourne... right about now, give or take a few minutes.

We are still packing, trying to sell some of our earthly possessions, cleaning and trying to fit in as many visits with friends and family as is humanly possible.

Here are a few things I have learnt over since the last time I posted:

Our Move cubes will be costing us round R18 500 including clearing charges etc.

I am still trying to try and find a way to get my mountain bike over in a reasonable amount of time and without breaking the bank, although it looks like it will be easier to either sell it or pack it in a cube and wait 2-3 months. We have decided not to get a car for the first bit, so I really would like to have a bike, but we will just have to see how things work out. Paying over R6 000 to fly it over separate is a bit much, and trying to check it in with our flight is very problematic.

We are flying with Qantas. We have 30kg of luggage each between my hubby and me. I have found out that with 7seas, where we are getting the move cubes from, I can send a 26kg box of clothing door to door in 11 days for round R2 500. If I wanted to add 5kg extra luggage on Qantas it costs R2 800... Ouch.

Since we are selling some of our things, we thought it a good idea to try OLX... Oh Boy... Selling things online in South Africa is a mine field of Nigerian scam artists wanting to rob you!

Things are progressing nicely, however I am finally feeling a bit anxious and stressed over things like selling cars and leaving everything familiar behind for a new adventure. Overall however, I think we are managing the relocation thing ok :)

We are having a farewell braai in 2 weeks time and are trying very hard to convince people not to see us off at the airport... Not quite sure how that will work out, but we are trying to make this as easy as possible and fit in all the goodbyes’ before hand.

Cheers for now

D

• Like 3

Blessings and wishing you all the best with this new journey!

Wishing you all the best Donelle. We fly to Melbourne on the 16th of May. My hubby has opted to take his bike with him. He has paired his wardrobe down to a minimum (the rest of his clothes are going in the container) and because we booked through IOM we have 40kg of luggage. So hubby will have to use half of that for his bike. When we phone Qantas about booking tickets they mentioned that you can get immigrant tickets (with extra luggage allowance) maybe worth calling and asking if you can change to that and see what the extra cost involved is?

Thanks so much for the advise Tazzn, will be giving Qantas a call in the morning :) and wishing you all the best with all your final arrangements here!

Loved the bit about playing Tetris. Good luck with the move!

• 1 month later...

We have finally landed, one week in and I cannot explain how deliriously happy we are here so far. Melbourne is just stunning and exceeded all my expectations. It is clean, safe and everything works.

We arrived last week Wednesday late and quite frankly the first day or two was a jetlag disaster... never thought it could be that crazy. However we pushed through and still tried to squeeze as much in the remaining daylight hours in as we could. We are currently staying about 7km outside the city so we took a walk into the CBD to have a look around and find our proverbial land legs. It was phenomenal. We went to validate our bank account, and the assistant sommer quickly opened one for me - without even having to ask. No Q and no waiting time at all, just efficiency. Next we sauntered off to get some sim cars... same, quick, efficient and service with a smile.

We took a walk back home and decided, since there were so many bikes around, that was our next step.

Day 2 and 3 were spent looking for bikes and learning all the lingo regarding onezies (single speed bikes) and hybrids etc. 2 bikes later, we were off. I feel like a kid with their first bike, since it is so easy and safe to get around if you mix in some public transport (we have decided for the time being to not get a car and see how we go).

Day 4 we decided to try out Trams - a very novel and foreign concept to both my hubby and myself. It works like a charm for short trips around and quite enjoyed trying to figure it all out.

Mixed through day 6 to 8 is a trip to the Melbourne Museum and Queen Victoria Market... Stunning, and as a bit of a foody I truly enjoyed the Market... Neither my hubby nor I have work yet, so he had to reign me in a bit, but I think kid in a candy shop is the understatement of the Century.

We also decided to mix in some open house/show day action and went scouting areas and places to get a feel for where we would finally like to end up renting in. The places here are quite nice, and I personally think quite affordable once you have employment.

I find the quality of fruit in veg much better than anything I have ever seen in South Africa, even though Woolworths and Coles are quite pricey on an SA budget. For now we are shopping mostly at Aldi because there are exceptional bargains to be had (some even considerably cheaper than in SA), until we have income.

I find it quite exciting exploring all the new and different brands, but if you look closely, the manufacturers are still the same, Uni-Lever, Johnsons & Johnsons, Garnier etc.

I know this is not for everyone and I am sure at some point the novelty will wear off and the honeymoon will come to an end, but for now, all the colours appear brighter, everything is cleaner and even smells better :)

xxx

D

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing your journey Donelle. Quite inspiring and reassuring to some of us who are a few weeks away from taking that one way trip.

I'm reaAlly glad you're enjoying Melbourne. What a positive outlook.

So much so that when reading your post I wondered whether you landed in the wrong city?

:P

:)

• Like 1

Nice one Donelle. My wife read your post and even though she has visited Melbourne before, she can't wait to explore again after our arrival.. This time with the kids and less hurried.

Enjoy, and best of luck with the job hunt.

Awesome Donelle. With my 2 week in knowledge I think you are staying Quite close to us.. Our temporary accom is in St kilda -- middle park..