Sunbury primary schools reviews?

Hello,

I am gathering as much information as I can on Sunbury as this it seems will be where we will settle. I do have all the links for the primary schools and I have checked them out on google. Can anyone who is actually living in Sunbury advise on which primary schools are best in the area? I know that Sunbury primary school is rather nice but it looks a little way out of town and I would prefer something central so that I can walk my son to school.

Any advice or reviews from parents that have kids in any of these Primary schools?

Any information appreciated. Thanks so much:-)

PS:Also for enrolment purposes will the the immunisation card that we have from South Africa be sufficient to enrol my son? Or do you have to visit the doctor in Oz ?

Thankyou

Emma

Don't know about the area, but you will need their birth cert, immunisation card and preferably an english report of the last

term or year completed. Mine are not enrolled yet, we are still looking for a rental - and that's another story!

Hey guys

I'm looking at Sunbury too, looks too perfect too pass up. My eldest turns 5 in July ad we planning on leaving in August, I guess she would need to go to kindy? Are you struggling for rentals Kanniewagnie, what's up?

Thanks kannie, he will be 5 by the time we arrive in Melbourne. Lots of lovely places to rent in Sunbury and nice new developments too from what I have researched. Hopefully finding a rental wont be too difficult:-)

Finding a rental will be a piece of cake, there are plenty, highly unlikely that you will be standing in a long line to secure one. I have asked one of the other forumites, who has settled in Sunbury, to give you feedback as well as talk about primary school that her children attend.

I recently moved to Sunbury and am loving living here (inner suburbs of Melbourne previously).

You should have no problems securing a rental here, plenty available. However, most real estate agents will not let you sign a longer lease until you have physically seen a property so you may need to secure short term accommodation when you first arrive.

• Like 1

Not too many in Duncraig to choose from. It is also far to drive there for a viewing. Going to apply for one today. Hope it is not out yet. Want to go there (agent) this morning.

My kids go to Sunbury Primary School. Gr. 4 and 6. Really loving it! They were accepted immediatly and have not had one day of bullying, teasing ect. Fortunately the schools are not zoned, because we live very close to Sunbury Heights and Sunbury West, but both schools have pretty bad reputations. Other schools nearby is Killara, great school, but huge! 700+ kids apparently, Sunbury Primary has almost 300. We have a lift club.

Many South African parents in Sunbury also send their kids to Red Rock Christian School. It's a private school and cost a lot more than the public schools. Very small, about 60 kids in the whole school. The parents really speak fondly of Red Rock, so it must be good too. Unfortunately it is about 11km out of town, towards Gisborn, but there is a bus from Sunbury. Digger's Rest, right next to Sunbury is growing fast and the primary school there will soon be expanding. Parents and kids I met at an athletics meeting are also very happy there. I will probably start relief teaching at all the primary schools in Sunbury next term (holding thumbs) and will be able to give much more inside info later this year. I don't know anything about the Catholic schools...... Sorry for replying late, please feel free to ask more questions.

I coach chess at Sunbury Primary and the teachers and kids I've met is super friendly and really well-behaved. Some weird hairstyles but you'll get that at every school. Sunbury is a great town, we absolutely love it here!

(EDIT) The school didn't accept our SA immunisation cards, you must get a letter from Medicare about vaccinations being up to date. Haven't done that yet, will do it this holiday.

Edited by miran
  • Like 1

Fantastic, thanks Miran. Great feedback. I'm liking the look of Sunbury Primary

Good news about the rentals too. What would short term accommodation be? Sorry I know it might seem a silly question?

Thankyou Miranda for the information. So much to think about but schooling is important and we want our little one to be happy and settle in. Sunbury primary looks lovely and its nice to receive recomendations. I have noticed on some of the schools websites that they often ask for teachers assistance from parents, that might be a nice idea for me to do until I find work. Thanks once again :-)