School years in comparison to grades

Beachball

Jumping the gun a bit, but something the wife is keen on knowing.

We are near the end of the process of receiving our visas.

How do school grades in SA compare to school years in AUS. My son has just turned 7 and is in grade 1 and my daughter has just turned 9 in grade 3 ( birthday's a week apart) where would they fit in at school.

In WA your daughter would be in year 4 and your son in year 2. Not sure if all the states are the same.

Not sure which state you are heading for, but we are in WA and my boys were the same age as your kids are now and in the same grades - we landed at the beginning of the year so my youngest was about to start Grade 1. I insisted that they remain in the year they would've been going into in SA - more especially for my youngest as I didn't want him to miss out on the fundamentals of Year 1. The school was fine with that, but after 1 month, my eldest was moved up to Year 4 due to his abilities.

When we moved to another town 2 years later, the principal of the new school suggested we move my youngest to Year 4 and despite a bit of extra spelling work, he slotted in just fine and is doing really well academically.

I'm not sure if this is the norm or if most schools will be firm about putting them in the correct year for their age......but, however it works out, you can be sure your children will not be disadvantaged and will get all the extra help they need.

Thanks for the responses guys!

We are heading to WA

Leeferg1, we were discussing that exact scenario as we are also concerned about our little guy. We had felt it was the right thing

to do to keep him in year 1 as it is foundation phase.

We had a meeting with his teacher here 2 days ago and he by no means is battling to cause any concern and he loves school, we don't want to get him into a situation were he falls behind and battles because then he definitely won't enjoy school as much as he currently is.

Hoping we get our case officer in the next week or so.....

In Victoria they have to turn 5 in April to start Prep so in theory your kids would be in the following grade i.e. Grade 2 and 4.

Having said that most people keep their kids back if they are born in March and April (actually anything after December) and I did the same thing so my daughter who is in Grade 3 is turning 9 in April.

I would keep them in the current grades especially as the transition can sometimes take them a while so then they don't have to worry about keeping up.

Pleasure Beachball!

I'm sure they will both be absolutely fine.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Primary School is only until Year 6 (Grade 4 in RSA) High School starts at Year 7 (Grade 5 in RSA) - so you're in high school for 6 years, not 5 years as in RSA

Primary School is only until Year 6 (Grade 4 in RSA) High School starts at Year 7 (Grade 5 in RSA) - so you're in high school for 6 years, not 5 years as in RSA

Riekie, Year 6 in Aus is Grade 6 in RSA. Perhaps you were referring to Standard 4 (preceded by Grades 1 and 2 in the past)?

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 1

That's what I meant yes - STD 4